Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Are you a Rich tea or rice cake mummy?

124»

Replies

• ds (18months) for the main has the rice cake, but only because if we're at a toddler group the biscuits they hand out have milk in, he does have the organix oat bars a couple of times a week for his afternoon snack, but i do like to curb his intake of refined sugars..having said that, i've just given some (4) dairy free choc buttons after his lunch, not as a 'treat' as they aren't a reward for anything and should be seen as such, but just because...i can't stand my mum as she has this thing everytime she comes round (twice a week) that she has to bring some 'treat' with her, be it a packet of pink wafers, dairy free choc buttons, biscuits etc etc, gets annoying as he has stuff liek that once or twice a week, but really, it's like she thinks he should be having it all day every day, i remember as a kid my lunch box would have 4-5 choc bars in plus crips etc, and there's no need for it, i don't understand her obsession with empty foods, yes its nice, once in a while but not all the bloody time, and its no good for u all the time either (i know no one here has said all the time, juts my own personal rant), i just don'tunderstand it, she thinks i'm mean for not 'letting him' have ice cream and the like, and if we go out together she always brings a carton of juice, grr, whats wrong with him drinking water? its not like he never has juice, and even if he had never had it, u can't miss what u've never had so not like he'd feel all deprived? so i guess i'm somewhere in the middle, he has the odd pointless food, maybe once or twice a week, or even (gasp!) if i have a drink of coke he'll have a couple of sips!!! but he never had anything liek that (biscuits, sweets, juice) until he was one year old and now he has it occasionally and just because. i do think that that baby group situation is a bit mean though (i mean the group are putting the mum in an impossible position) if she really doesn't want her lo to have it she shouldn't have to give in to save a 10 minute tantrum, what would that teach the lo? scream long enough and u'll get a 'treat' at the end of it? and that she can always have what evryone else has? it was her desicion as a mum, and that should be respected, who's to say that lo never has sweets and biscuits? maybe she hads them at home sometimes? but perhaps the mum just didn't think it apropriate to be almost forced into having to oblige, so refused on principle? maybe that night the lo had jeely and icecream for pud? who knows.
  • Just thought I'd add- we went away with FIL last week and he went shopping and bought back a big pack of choc buttons for DS (who is 5 1/2 months) I was like 'erm he's only 5 months he can't have theat' and he looked really shocked, then asked if he'd had his first ice cream yet?!

WTF?? Lol x

[Modified by: Peanut baby on September 14, 2010 12:57 PM]

• sorry, completely g/cing!
    But I have always allowed my Lo's to have the occasional treat/dessert/biscuit/choc.
    There are a lot of food issues on both sides of our families, my family struggle with their weight and PIL have very unhealthy attitudes towards their own and other peoples weight..I would go as far to say that my 60 yr old mil has an eating disorder! In turn I am worried about this rubbing off on my daughter in particular, she already stands in front of the mirror checking whether she looks fat - she's 5 ffs, and this all stems from Grandma (I have asked her why and who she has seen looking in the mirror in this way) therefore I try and promote a healthy as possible attitude to ALL foods, sweet and savoury.
    I also agree with Deedee, I don't know of any baby groups that aren't run like that, a break for tea or coffee for the adults and juice/milk and a biscuit for the little ones, in fact I can also remember this being the norm when we were all little, has it caused many of us to have problems??
    On the veggie front, I am a vegetarian and have been since I was 7, so 21 years, my dh is not, and I have bought my children up eating meat, again I think it is all working towards a healthy attitude towards all foods, I also think it is essential in their development, and always intended bringing my children up eating meat, even if dh didn't. My dd is getting to the stage now where she is asking where meat comes from, I am honest with her and to the point and even explain that ham comes from the pigs leg, etc, it's not put her off so far.
    I think whatever we do, we have to do what we think is right for our own children, there is never going to be a right or wrong to this question.
    Hx
  • :lol: Dee there must be something to it as i was never denied treats in fact mum use to have a special treat draw for us full of lovely sugary things... now both me and my sister both love savoury rather than sweet and are both thin!!!

Coco i agree, i never gave dd anything sugary until she was a lot older, she had her first taste of cake on her 1st birthday xx
  • I'd deffo give ds the biscuit. Although in saying that, I'd probably offer a choice too like putting the biscuit and rice cake infront of him and letting him choose.

I have absolutley no food issues whatsoever and can't even remember about treats ect when I was younger so my mum mustve let me make my own choices. My lunch money was always spent on food...till I started buying cigarettes haha!

My ds has milkybar buttons when we go out at the weekend and ice cream off my plate when we go out for dinner on the occaisonal Sunday. I feel guilty eating things infront of him without giving him a bite so it's actually benefitted me because I eat less bad things so he won't want one!! The only thing he doesn't get is my dinner if there is salt or anything spicy. I even let him slurp my tea!

I think at the age he is (9m) he is up and crawling and cruising and is very very curious. If you curb that enthusiasm now, it may lead to a temper later on? I don't give him everything but he knows of he's going to get it, I'll give it. If I say no, he knows there's no point whinging. I don't have any other children so my opinion may be niave but hopefully doing this will stop him throwing major hissy fits later on. All I remember from childhood was 'if you didn't get it the first time you asked there's no point asking again' and that's what I'm trying to install with ds.

With regards to vegetariansim..I think that if you are well educated in balancing a vegetarian diet for a growing baby then fair enough..but it's a lot easier for a baby to extract nutrients from meat. In my opinion (and it is only an opinion) I think that telling a child that they cannot eat something because YOU don't like it, is completley wrong. I hate spinache but that doesn't mean ds gets away wit leaving his! If your opinion is that meat is wrong, then that's fair enough..or if your religion forbids it, I also get it. But denying a child something like meat when they are watching it being eaten by someone who they probably want to copy all the time anyway (like their dad) seems a bit harsh.

When you say that we make the choices for our child untill they are old enough to make their own decisions when do you deem them mature enough to do so? 10,13,16?

I'm only 23 so I don't have huge life experience. But - I thought responsibility and choice is something a child should be taught early on. A parent is only a guide at the end of the day..the person who picks you up and dusts you off when you make a mistake, and who looks out for your best interest. I would like to think I am beginning to let ds make
    small choices like offering him two types of snack, and when he's older it'll be what book to read and what tshirt to wear..hopefully I've got the right idea.
  • Biscuit every day of the week. I pick my battles wisely and a one-off biscuit is not one of them.
  • Er, by "biscuit every day of the week" I didn't mean I give the girls biscuits every day of the week :lol: Although I probably do, some weeks! Lily not Maddie!
  • T would have the biscuit - she hates rice cakes and always has. When we first started weaning she would pick off whatever topping was on them and throw away the rice cake. If it was a plain rice cake then it was straight over the side of the highchair!
    I give T biscuits regularly actually. She has the Heinz baby biscuits, the organix ones and also had chocolate hobnob yesterday, but only as she broke off half of the one I had in my hand (as we fought over it!) She has a lot of healthy food and aside from biscuits it's pretty much all homemade - she has had organix carrot puff too. We started off BLW and I think in some ways I'm still in the mindset and generally whatever we are eating, she has some too. I'm happy with weaning this way, it's how I was brought up and there are no food issues in the family at all.

mrs_ed
  • I would probably go for the biscuit to stop my LO getting upset. Saying that he has never had a biscuit yet as I never buy them (or I would eat the whole packet!) He loves rice cakes so would maybe give him a choice too.
    I do let him taste most things and want him to have a healthy attitude to food as well.
    I definately don't want him eating rubbish a lot but everything in moderation.
  • sorry guys but seriously a rich tea biscuit??? It's not like a Jaffa cake or big slice of fudge cake. My oldest is 7 and with him we were a bit ooh musnt have this or that, only have fruit and veg, organic  blah blah. He has now grown up to be the most fussiest eater ever. Where with my other 2 we were a lot more relaxed and allowed a few more things we maybe wouldn't have given the first, and now they eat so much better ththan my first, at parties they will go for the savory things and not worry about the sweet things.