Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Potty training at 8 months

Replies

• My Uncle was potty trained at 6-months. And girls you know me, I wouldn't lie!!!
    (I also had a cousin who was weaned at 8-weeks old. YES 8-weeks!!!)

Oh dear... my poor fen family! LOL

xxx
  • Hi there,

My post was asking for advice and guidance from ladies that had started potty training around the age of my LO. Thank you to those who could help and those that showed support. I am very excited about taking this next step with my baby boy.

Sue
  • Hi

with my ds1 we started potty training at 8months as he was walking and copied daddy with everything !
    We started by getting him used to the toilet and potty. He would sit on the toilet with a little toilet seat before and after every bath, first thing in the morning and whenever we went during the day. By 10months old he would only do a poo on the toilet as it was easier for him (made nappies easier!!!!) It takes a lot of persistance especially if they can't speak yet but there is baby sign language for toilet that we taught our son so he could tell us. It does take longer to do but is possible. By 16months old he was only wearing proper nappies at night and would go on a toilet or potty depending what was available. He has never been scared of the potty or toilet.
    Saying that I think it depends on the child as my ds2 is nearly 6months old and no where near walking and cant sit up unaided yet so I doubt whether he will be ready as early.
    You know your child better than anyone so go with what is right for them and you.
  • tinkerbell hun I was genuinely curious, I wasn't being sarcastic, just wanted to understand why you were training early. Hope i didnt offend you. It's just quite a rare thing these days and I don't know a huge amount about it. xx
  • Would you mind posting how you get on with this? I know my mother trained us early and I'd be really interested in your methods?

Thanks x x
  • i was looking up sites re getting your baby to go from breastfed to bottle fed and funnily enought one dr commented that in the 1940s babies were toilet trained at 6 months so it has been done!

good luck (in the genuine sense lol)
  • i have been told by staff at the different nurseries we have visited that babies in cloth nappies tend to potty train more quickly, so that could be one option!
  • oh god - potty training has recently become such a nightmare for us - we trained before the 'recommended' age - and we had DS fully daytime - and happily - trained by the time MJ arrived (DS was 22 months) - just over a year later he REFUSES to use the potty or toilet and actually screams until he has a pull up on.
    He was fully potty trained through the daytime, and we were considering trying the nighttime, but then he reverted and now wont even tell us if he's wanting a wee or poo..
    (and no we're not giving him less attention or anything different)

I'm now a bit wary of PT MJ earlier than 'recommended' purely because i dont want to have to go through it 4 times with 2 children!

has anyone who has potty trained before 2yrs experienced a relapse?
    Our HV says to just start again but Ollie is having none of it and I've gone beyond the point of washing/throwing away pooey undies! :cry:

sorry.not much help to the op

xxx
  • Good luck hun, as others had said years ago that was the norm!

I didnt train my lo as early as you (he was 15months when fully dry) give it a shot, you have nothing to lose xx
  • I have a book that advocates training from birth! Must look it out and let you know the title. Think it would be helpful. Afraid I waited til 18 mths first time and lo is just 6 mths so will wait a while x
  • Calleigh I think you're right about cloth nappies. Have heard from this a few mums and the HV. Apparently it's because babies actually feel wet in cloth nappies unlike disposables where the wee is kept away from their tush.

Good luck OP - can't wait to hear how you get on. Actually I'm sure I've read about this somewhere. hang on I'll go and look.

Oh it's in "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems" Chapter nine is devoted to her method for early potty training (9-15 months)

xxxx
  • Calleigh that's a really interesting point, I wonder is there any mums on here have found that as well? It would be really interesting to find out if they do make a difference because that make a good selling point for cloth nappies, I have to admit I have been a bit afraid to use them I think it's more the time and energy of washing them :lol:
  • I def think the cloth nappies helped with potty training dd1. We didn't do it early but when we started trying it didn't take too long and I remember she was totally out of nappies (day and night) by her second birthday. I remember because the skirt she was wearing kept falling down without a nappy under it to hold it up!
  • no advice really but my Lo has been using her potty since about 8months. i very much doubt she understands what its all about but every morning after breakfast she has a pee n poo in her potty. i just wanted her to get used to sitting on it. i often let her lie without her nappy on and if she starts to pee i put her on the potty. she also holds onto her nappy when she pees.

good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
    xxx

xxx
  • I find it genuinely interesting as my DS is 15 months and have been thinking and wondering if he is too early to be PT.
    I would really like to hear how you get along OP, and hear of your methods that both worked and didn't work for you and your LO.
    I hope it works out for you hun.

Sarah xx
  • This is a really interesting thread. I'm not about to start training ds, but over the last week he's been waking at about 4am and has needed a nappy change (we're using cloth nappies) Every time, as I've taken the (very wet) nappy off, he's almost beaten me to getting the new one on before he wees again. It's as if he's waking up because he needs to wee and his nappy's full! lol!
  • I'm sorry, but every baby is different and it is not ridiculous to follow the cues of your child. If they are ready to start, then they are. My son is 7 months and just did his first poo on his potty today after trying to climb onto the toilet a few times prior to this (Obviously I didn't let him and was trying to stop him from touching anything!) but he is very advanced for his age and is doing things a lot of 14 month olds can't do yet. If this ladies baby is ready then there is nothing wrong with giving it a go. It might not be "true" potty training but there is no set time to start anything when it comes to babies. They are unique individuals and will develop at their own rates, just like adults. 

• I'm I'm sorry but I think you don't realise how it actually is possible to train babies at an early age, rather than leaving them to sit their in their wee and faeces at 2+years. In Italy it is completely normal to start potty training at 2 days old. They are out of nappies by 6 months old. It is possible. It's just that most people in the western world are either too lazy to teach their kids or too obnoxious to think it even possible

• My little one is coming up to 8 months old and I didn't think it was possible to potty train this young, 

but I would love to know how youre getting on xx

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.