Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Post Natal Depression

Hi everyone. I have posted a few times here about sleeping routines, breastfeeding etc etc and lately lack of sleep. I finally went to see my Dr and was diagnosed with PND. I have been prescribed anti-deps (zoloft) which I'm due to start taking today. I feel so ashamed about the whole thing, a failure and that it's quite a taboo thing. I manage to look after my LO and do show him love etc but just feel that I'm not coping with things, very stressed and angry and taking it out on my OH....would be good to hear if anyone else has been or is in the same boat. Am quite nervous about starting on the pills!

Thanks

Replies

• Hi bananey, I am in the same boat as you, my lo is 15 weeks and I am suffering with PND too, I am not currently taking pills, but I hve in the passed when I have suffered from depression. Please don't feel ashamed, any form of depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, ie a lack or seretonin, if you had an imbalance in your kidneys for example you wouldn't be ashamed of that, but you are right it is still a little talked about subject, and sites like this are great cause it gets people talking. The anti-depressants will help balance the levels of seretonin, so that puts you on a more even keel and you can then deal with things going on around you. Have you managed to speak to your oh about how you feel, and is he able to offer you any support? I'm sure your GP said this to you, but the tablets can take a few weeks to get into your system and work, so you wont feel better overnight, but slowly and surely you will be able to put things into perspective more. Lack of sleep is such a killer as well, things are so much easier to deal with if you can get some sleep, and that will also come with time. You've done so well to open up on here and share how you are feeling, I hope you keep us posted with your progress, and if you need to chat just email me, we can make each other feel better. One last thing, join us on 'Campaign Policies For When I Become Prime Minister' in the Hot Topic section, have a read throught the posts and you will realise you are certainly not alone, and we can chat there too! Take Care sweetie.xxx
  • Hi Suzaie and thanks for the reply. My Dr has told me it'll take 2 weeks for them to work and that I might have some side effects during that period...just not sure what those might be?
  • I've not taken that particular tablet, but one I was on completely killed my sex drive, but you don't exactly feel like that when you are depressed, let alone your lo giving you a chance anyway!! Docs are crap sometimes, telling you that, but not what they will be!xx
  • hi bananey.. please don't feel ashamed or bad for taking tablets for your pnd... It will take a few weeks to get the pills working, it might even take as long as 3/4 weeks but you should feel a change after 2 weeks. for the side effects, have you read the leaflet that came with your tablets? I've had a look on google and found this website.. http://www.zoloft.com/zoloft/zoloft.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=about_zoloft :\) take care and we're here when you want us.. xx
  • HI Bananey,
    You are certainly not alone in this,i was diagnosed just before xmas and have been on a tab called sertraline since. I still get my low days but i think that is generally baby blues and i ffel a hell of a lot better than i did before i was on them!
    It all came to a head when my lovely other half told me that if i didn't go to the doctors he was going to leave me, we have been together fornearly seven years and i was well aware that i was taking everything out on him and my mum as they are my two biggest support networks!
    I was really clingy to my baby so even though i was doing a great job looking after her i wasn't letting anyone else help and so wasn't really looking after myself. You will start to feel better, i promise. One thing i have found that has really helped is going to a post natal group inmy area, it may be worth looking into that as there is always going to be someone that is in the same boat as you.
    You sound exactly like i did when i was first diagnosed as my LO is soooo gorgeous and jolly i thought it was something to do with me but now i know it wasn't!
    Take care
    Sam x