Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Grunting

My 6week old has made grunting noises (like if you were imitating a pig) since she had a cold 4weeks ago. She mostly makes the noise when she is crying/moaning. but sometimes when she is breathing heavy. The HV just said if i was concerned to call the docs.. i'm tryinging to get an appt. But in the meantime i wondered if anyone else knew about this or had experienced something similar with their lo's. x x x x

Replies

• Options
    my daughter does this too. she's just over 3weeks and it randomly started about a week ago. it tends to be when she's really upset or straining to fill her nappy. im not overly concerned but going to baby clinic today so im going to mention it to my HV so ill let you know what she says! X
  • Options
    My son did that when he was newborn, until he was about 2-3 months old. He sounded like a barnyard with all the grunting, snorting, squeeking etc! It was so bad, we had to move him out of our room at 6 weeks old. I had planned to keep him in with us until he was 3 months, but he was so loud, my hb and I weren't able to sleep! I have a few friends whose babies did the same thing and they all eventually stopped. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    Try not to worry too much. My 6 week old boy grunts constantly - the whole time he is awake - when he is feeding, doing a poo and even sleeping. He is so noisy I cant sleep. I asked HV ans she said he was just a noisy baby! He wont get his 6week check up until after new year so I'm just going to mention it to the dr. Not too concerned tho as my 2 girls were noisy too (not as noisy as him tho!)
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi Jenny,

My LO grunts too. When awake it is because her nasal passages get blocked with nose-bugs (ie. snot) as lo's can't sniff or blow there is no way for them to get rid of them they have to breathe through them. At night she is so loud with squeaking etc that I thought she'd have to move into her own room early :cry:.

I found out that lo's can't move between the different forms of sleep and this grunting, etc signals them trying to do that. Before I knew this I got up to her and offered her feed but she wasn't very hungry :roll: so I took drastic measures and got some ear plugs. They block the grunting but I can still hear her if she cries out. Plus, my oh was in the same room too so I felt it was safe to do so as he can also hear her .

Anyhoo, the night I did this she slept through (8 weeks +2) and has done ever since!!! Apparently the worst thing to do is to tend to them whilst they are doing this grunting as they are trying to get themselves through the stages of sleep. I found out that a lo actually spends quite a lot of the night nearly awake!! Tending to them just disrupts them learning to do get through the sleep stages and settling themselves. She never had a dummy either but found her knuckle or finger to suck on until she drops off.

Having ear plugs means I can sleep (I was exhausted!!!) and she can grunt away. My oh said that she does this less than before now but is still quite noisy. Not that I would know...hee hee! :lol:

Nancy.
  • Options
    Nancy - I wear ear plugs too! Its amazing - I cant hear all the silly noises around the house but I can still hear baby!!! They are a but old and grubby and think I might pop to boots for some fresh ones and see if they are any better. I only tend to him once he starts crying and like you leave him when he grunts and groans!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies.. i did book an appt for mon but am thinking i will prob cancel it as it looks like i'm worrying for no reason! x
  • Options
    Patdow,

Mine are a bit grubby too!!! :lol: Got mine from Tesco. Think they are the best kept new-mum secret ever! Your the first other mum I know of who uses them!

Anyone else?

Nancy.x
  • Options
    Nancy - 2 of my sisters used the earplugs too!! We are not alone! As soon as I got home from hospital on day 3 I started using them!! Best invention yet!