Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gaviscon and Comfort Milk

My dd is 9 weeks old and had been quite sicky for a week. Doctors appointment on Wed we were given infant gaviscon to see if it is reflux. I am not sure that itis as she has had the gaviscon for 2 days and is still arching her back at feeds crying when feeding after winding and refusing to feed.

After feeds she will cry out then stop as if she has some sort of stomach ache or pain. She is also very windy and is constantly farting, she is not constipated as she gives me a dirty nappy virtually every day. . It can take her up to an hour to take 2 oz which is a nightmare as I have her twin brother to feed as well. It also makes it impossible to feed them together even though they can now sit up in their bouncy chairs and take a bottle.

I have ordered some comfort milk to see if this will help her but can I put gavisco in it? She seems a little more wiling to feed with the gaviscon and it has only been 2 days. Anyone had/got similar? x

Replies

• u can't mix infant gaviscon ion with comfort milk as the comfort ilk is already thicker, baby wld have great difficulty digesting it as it wld be so thick, tahts if they wld even be able to suck it thru the teat... stick with the gaviscon for one week, if there's no real improvement then speak to ur gp/hv about trying the comfort milk instead. hth xx
  • We used gaviscon with SMA staydown and it was ok, used the avent bottles and didnt have too much blocking issues.

I found the gaviscon didnt make tto much difference, but the staydown milk has really helped.
  • Hi, my baby is 11weeks today and we finally got gaviscon today to help him as we and doc's think it could be silent reflux. He has all the symptoms but isn't sick! He has been on Aptamil Comfort milk for over a month to help him poo and i was worried about putting the gaviscon with the comfort as it was so thick but i phoned aptamil helpline and they said it is FINE to put gaviscon with comfort as Aptamil comfort doesn't have a thickening agent in it! the only thing is he is now on size 3 teats so as not to block them. with comfort milk they recommend med or fast flow teats anyway.
    Hope this has helped, know how frustrating it is with reflux, especially at night!!!!!
  • Hi me again.......

might just be my lo but after 24 hrs of the gaviscon in aptamil comfort he has become very constipated!! we have now switched back to aptamil 1 to try to help this!

just to let u know