Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

moving to their own room - also in de in dec

Hiya

Ive noticed that smiler has moved her lo into their own room already but I was wondering how we all felt about it and how successfull it was for you smiler?

The reason I ask is that my lo seems to be pretty restless at night and seems to go through stages of light and heavy sleep (which is what my hv told us all babies do) but because I (embarrassingly) snore and my OH is a chronic toilet visitor, im worried that were going to end up annoying grant to the point of grumpiness.

Im worried because regulations now say they should be in your room untill they are a year old but I really dont think I could go that long!!

The other thing is that I am a heavy sleeper and im worried I wont hear him on the monitor. This might sound wierd but I hate going to him when he is screaming for a cuddle in the morning and would much rather he woke up and started the day with as little noise as possible (plus I get more smiles when I catch him before the crying starts)

So what are your suggestions/expeirences?

xx

Replies

• Hi, Hugo is in his own room tonight for the first time. He's 10+5. I would ideally have liked to have kept in our room for longer, but he seemed to wake up when we came to bed and I think we disturbed him during his periods of light sleep. He is just across the landing from our bedroom though and we have a monitor so I will probably still hear every shuffle and snuffle - especially as I'll be listening out for him more than usual!

• Hi Princess!

Yes, moving Bethan to her own room was the best thing we ever did. Her room is right next to ours and we have an amazing baby monitor which we'd tested over and over in the weeks before so we trust it completley (she was sleeping upstairs in our room alone for a few hours every evening before we came up, and the monitor spotted everything!). Granted, I was scared the first night, but she sleeps SO much better. She's always been a visual baby - sound doesn't really bother her all that much generally, and it was when we came up to bed (or more specificially hubby as he's been up late recently finishing some OU course work!) and had to have some sort of light on that she was initially disturbed. So being in her own room eliminated that. Plus the general quietness seems to help as she's not then disturbed during lighter sleep.

She's scared me half to death on at least 3 occasions though when I've woken up at one point in the night, convinced she should have woken for a feed by that time, only to find her perfectly happy snoozing away - the first time I woke her by accident by checking on her! lol oops.

I always hear her - not the little squeaks and snuffles (or dog noises...weird child. lol) - but her 'calling out' as it were. It's weird, but I reckon that because she can't hear our presence, she gets less upset, and literally starts to 'call' instead. I've rarely found her upset, whether it's a middle of the night feed or in the morning! And we obviously have more smiles then!!! lol

She's still in the same bassinette (Graco petite travel cot with bassinette and extra mattress) as she was when in with us - we're hoping to move her to her cot soon, but we need to get a wedge first as she's quite bad with reflux without her head being raised. This way though, she gets used to the noises and sensations of that room.

It suits her, and us. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!

C & Bethan 10+1
  • Double post! Grrrr

[Modified by: *MW* on February 27, 2010 09:02 AM]

• Oliver has been in his own room since he was about 3 weeks old! He is so noisy he was disturbing us too much and hubby has to get up for work at 5am and was way too tired.

However, since he's been in there he has gradually slept better and better and is now only waking once a night for a feed. (i am still breastfeeding on demand). He has his bath at 7.30pm and is in his cot by 8. Last night he didn't wake til 4.20am!! Then we got up at 7.30am.

I'm really pleased with him as he's only 9 + 5 today.

Sarah
  • I moved my little un into her own room at 10 weeks and she slept so much better in there. I think the moses basket was a bit small for her and she woke up much less in her own room
  • My LO has been in his own room since 4 weeks old as he wasn't settling well and was such a noisy sleeper he kept me awake too. Now we both sleep better. He goes down at6:30 we wake hm for a DF at 10:30 and then he only wakes once during the night for food. If he wakes for any other reason then he settles himself back down whch he wouldn't do when he was in our room. We have the monitor on all night so hear him when he cries. Twice he has slept through the night and I have woken in a panic only to find him peacefully asleep. I don't honestly see how where they sleep can make a lot of difference.

Wendy + Sebastan (8+3)
  • hi there hun

we moved toby into his own room at about 10 weeks as we were all keeoping each other awake. I snore like a hog hubby pees loads and toby grunted for england! Toby either leeps through every night 7-7 or wakes once 7-4 5-8ish.\ Best thing we ever did - we do have 2 movement monitors though just for my paranoid state!"
  • I agree with you mummypglit about not seeing where they sleep making a difference. I really dont know how they expect you to keep your lo in your room for a year! esp if you or they are light/noisy sleepers. I understand about them being there first of all though. I still feel slightly guilty though because of these reccommendations :S
  • Before I had ds I was in the "my baby will be in our room for at least 6 months" camp.

My ds ended up sleeping in his own room, in his cot at 7 weeks and it was the best decision and first decent nights sleep we had. He would jump out of his skin at every movement or noise we made to the point me and oh were scared to breathe in case we disturbed him. We have the TT sensor mat monitor which gave me huge peace of mind putting him in his own room as tbh, I don't think I would have found the courage to do it without it.

I still remember sobbing my eyes out like a very hormonal new mum that first night he went into his own room though. It felt like my baby was all grown up and had fled my nest image xx
  • Sophie went in her own room at 9 weeks when she outgrew her moses basket. There is no way her cot would fit in our room.

Before she was born I was determined that she would sleep in our room til 6 months, and I still sometimes wake up during the night and check on her as I am paranoid she hasn't woken up - even though we have a fab monitor too.

It did take Sophie a couple of weeks to settle in her own room and I slept in the spare bed in there for a while, but she sleeps much better in there on her own and is used to it now. She is 14 + 4.