Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mother and Toddler groups.

Hello everyone,

I have a 10 month old baby girl and I haven't really been to any groups like this, mostly because I don't really 'do' the group thing if you know what I mean, and also partly because I'm worried that my daughter is too young - she can't crawl or walk yet and I worry that other children may take advantage of that by taking away toys and things. It feels like I would be setting her up to fail - I know a lot of mum's swear by them, but I'm just not sure. On the other hand I feel like I'm stopping her from having the opportunity to play with others and build social skills by not taking her. What do you guys think? It's been on my mind a lot and I really don't know what to do.

Replies

• I didnt start taking my little girl to our local mother & toddler group til she was 6 months mainly because I thought there was no point coz she was too young & alot of my family said she would just pick up infections & colds & other nasty things (all sounds soo silly now but as a 1st time mum you do worry about these things!) but much to my surprise when we went for the 1st time there were 2 or 3 babies around her age & even some who were younger.

Granted now she is 2 she def gets alot more out of it than she did when she 1st went but it all still aids their social development. Not only that but its good for you too to get out & meet other mums in the area. I would have said that I wouldnt have been into the whole group thing either but the friends I have & my little girl has made through these are invaluable & I wish I'd went out to the groups sooner. When no.2 arrives next month it'll have to go to these things from the word go & I dont think that its a bad thing either

Good Luck
    Hilary x
  • I know you are probably right - thank you so much for replying! x - I'm going to have a look around to see what groups are available in my area. I don't know if it's like this everywhere but where I live most of these groups happen in churches and I'm just not a religious person so that creates a bit of a barrier as well. Maybe the best thing to do is just go round and try a couple and see if there is one I like. I'm only off on monday and tuesday so that limits things as well. I will see what I come up with and let you know! Thanks again, it's really good being able to talk to other mum's by the way. image
  • Dont worry I'm not a religious person either. The mother & toddler groups only really use the church hall the church doesnt use them to teach any religion.

Ask your health visitor or ring your GP surgery & they should be able to tell you when & where they are held. Its a good idea to try out a few if you can & that way you'll find the one you think suits you & your baby best.

I just noticed on the Mums in Touch forum that youre from N.Ireland too. I'm from just outside Banbridge. Let me know how you get on at finding a mother & toddler group

Hilary x
  • That's what I thought! The last one I was at started off okay - we sat in a circle and we were singing and Mia was loving it, then all of a sudden the girl says it's time to pray and I just thought...bugger...that's not what we are here for, but could hardly get up and leave because they had been lovely to us and really welcoming, but it's just not my thing so don't feel it's right to go back there. Will let you know how I get on. Better get back to work! lol x
  • our loval council ptint a quarterly mag avaliable from the library and places it lists all the groups (times,dates,costs) in our area. also most librarys run bounce and rhyme which i have found fab. she has been going since 5 months. we just sing rhymes and songs. its quite a small group so its a good way to introduce them to other kids. decembermagic what date was your lo born?? mine is 25th.
  • hiya

i go to tiny stars ran by sure start at my local childrens centre. its specifically for babies under 1. then there is little stars for 1 - 2 year olds, and toddler stars for over 2's. i have been going since reece was 15 weeks and we both love it, it really helps to talk to other mums as none of my friends have children and reece loves looking at the other children, although they dont play together yet, there are different toys than at home and he loves the songs etc. good luck. jo xx
  • hi. in my area there is a group called little poachers from birth to one years, and then it's on to tiny tots mother and toddler group - which i am chair person of and help run. it is from 1 years to 4 years. i know what you mean though . 8 years ago i had a bad experience with a toddler group when i had my first baby where the mums were so clicky and whispering and staring. i didn't go back. until 2 years ago when i had my 4th baby and now the tiny tots group is no longer clicky and we all mingle amongst each other. i always try to encourage new mums especially ones with toddlers and a new baby to come in as it is difficult sometimes to get out and meet other mums. i love going as do my youngest 2 who are 2 years and 20 weeks.
    you ought to give it a try it may be ok . and you can have a chat and a coffee with other mums. good luck.xxxx
  • I go to a group which has two areas, a little one with mats down for the babies and then a bigger area with toys for toddlers. Everyone is really welcoming. My advice would be to bite the bullet and go along to one for a look. If it's not suitable then you don't have to go back.
  • i don't do groups well either, but i was determined to try!. i went to a first time mums baby group which the HV recommended, it was ok, the babies just played, & the mums chatted - i did exchange phone numbers, but haven't ever rung them or them me. But you never know. i went back to work 4 days, so do now go to another group in my village & as freddie is now 18 months, he can play & run around to his hearts content, the mums do chat, but you still get clicks etc - just think of the benefit for your LO rather than a place to make friends. you never know you might find someone you really get on with. xx
  • I made myself go to our group i didn't know anyone from the area but am so happy that i made myself go. The first time wasn't great but its been good ever since. I think you can start comparing babies what they can and can't do but thats just silly cause all babies will do things in their own time.
    It's great getting out of the house and having a bit of social there were some really small babies yesterday 2 - 3 weeks i thought one was a doll at first glance she was so small!