Forum home Babies Baby

O/T we are royally f**ked

Oh my god, i know this is not the worst thing that could happen, but at the moment it feels like it.

My hubby was offered a new job a few weeks ago. The new company organised training for him to start the first week in october and he handed his notice in last week. He's spent ??200 (that he was going to be able to claim back) on a train ticket to get him to the training.

Today, the new company have sent him a letter saying that he hasn't met the requirements for the job and they've withdrawn the offer. So now hubby has no job. I don't think he can go back to the old place because in all likelihood it's a bad reference from them that has lost him the new job (he's a good employee, they are just very bitter about anyone who chooses to leave the compnay - they take it personally.) And our new baby is only 3 weeks old - we are so screwed.

Can hubby even claim jobseekers since he gave up his old job and wasn't fired or made redundant?

I just don't know what we're going to do.

Replies

• he can ask what the reasons are for them taking the job away as they have to be proper reasons if that makes sense, if it was a bad reference he can appeal this too, I would fight it first?
  • i would fight against it too!!

i think he still can claim job seekers as he didnt just give his job up willy nilly...he did have a back up! Im sure there are certain reasons for leaving work which can still make you eligible for jobseekers allowance.

Id get straight onto either job center (discuss options) and then see how you can appeal as the sooner you do the sooner you can put a claim in.

really sorry to hear this hun xx
  • The letter just says that he doesn't meet the necessary pre-employment requirements. Not sure what that means. It can't be health related though, because he has no health problems and his disclosure must have been fine because he has no criminal record, so the references are the only thing we can think of that it might be. He has had to take a bit of time off work recently due to my pregnancy complications - I had to go to hospital a few times so hubby had to look after ds1, but then that's surely classed as time off for dependants and can't be used against him? The same happened with my first pregnancy, but baby is here now so shouldn't be a problem again. It's the only thing I can think of that it can be.
    He's waiting for a call back from the new company's HR dept. I feel sick waiting to hear what they say. I'm praying it's all a big mistake.
  • See what the HR department says. These days, most companies don't do more than confirm dates of employment and job title in a reference as they don't want to risk redress from ex-employees challenging what they've put in the reference. If they have written an unjustifiably bad reference, your husband should definitely challenge it.

He shouldn't be out of pocket on the train ticket either, he should either see if he can get a refund as the ticket will not be used, or claim it back from the new company as the offer was withdrawn after he'd purchased the ticket.
  • Did he have an offer letter from the new job? I would give CAB a call and see what his rights are.
  • The offer letter did say that the offer was subject to him meeting the requirements, but then they gave him his start date for the training, and it was only 2 weeks away, so he had to hand in his notice, either that or potentially leave his current employer in the lurch. We figured that since they had arranged his training, then everything was fine and he must have met the pre-employment conditions. Surely the new company should have checked everything before they arranged his training and effectively forced him to quit his job!
  • I'd certainly contact the new place to find out why they are now saying he hasn't met the requirements. If it is because of a bad reference ask for a copy of that reference and if it is clearly wrong it can be challenged, but you do have to act fast.
  • If it were me I would ask for feedback. Technically its against the law for a company to offer a bad reference, they either give a good one or refuse to comment. I would also ask them about the train ticket and just explain that it was bought under the conditions of a job acceptance and since this is no longer available you would still like to be reimbursed.

Let us know how you get on x
  • Thanks for the replies.
    HR have called hubby back but claimed that they don't really know the reason and that it was the area manager's decision. The HR girl is going to try and get the area manager to call OH, but he's not holding his breath.
  • My oh's force recruited new officers who were supposed to start police college at the end of sept, then sent them a letter out saymg they no longer required their service...it's all due to cutbacks and budgets. Maybe his job is no longer included in the company budget? X
  • They are on very dodgy ground, get hubby down the CAB as soon as possible, as they offered him the job they have entered into a verbal contract, he may well be able to sue them for unfair dismissal, I almost had to go through this with an employer earlier this year, CAB were a great help and can help put you in touch with other organisations and help word letters, etc.