Forum home Babies Baby

am i the only one?

My lo is 19wks old & i really didn't imagine how much i would love her & how fab life is now she is here,but i just can't help thinking about cot death & how devestated i would be if anything happened to her,i have thought about getting one of those mats that beep if she doesn't move but my oh thinks they are a waste of money as once she's asleep she hardly moves & all that will happen is lo will end up waking up which in some ways i do think he's got a point.But i really can't stop thinking about it & sometimes end up crying at night or checking on lo, in some ways i think its getting out of hand esp when i'm lying crying about it,am i the only one who thinks like this? i hope i haven't upset anyone who has lost a child i just need to get advice cos when i mention it to dh he just raises his eyebrows,thank you xo

Replies

• God I was just thinking exactly the same thing and often worry about it - I thought I was the only paranoid one. Are you watching Supernanny cos their little boy died at 11 months. It breaks my heart just to think of it. I will probs get worse when he sleeps in his own room. I am not sure about those mattresses as I think it can make you more paranoid. Anyway I just wanted to say that I feel exactly the same and worry loads too. It's just such a tragic subject.
  • yes iam the same,could never imagine my life without my gorgeous little man,the love for your child is like no other,my HV said that after 6 months the chance of cot death reduces and by a year its nearly gone,thats why they say to have your little one sleep with you for the first 6 months cos the baby tunes in to your breathing and keeps reminding them to breath.i have one of those monitors with the mat becouse my brother died of cot death when he was a baby so i was more scared of losing my lttle one,i have to say its one of the best things ive bought cos it has put my mind at ease a hell of a lot,i have had 2 false alarms but i still wouldnt be without it
  • i have spent many nights checking on all mine, 15yr ago with daughter and still do it now with oliver, he is 11m he is still in cot by my bed and im dreading him going into his big bros room. really silly things like him sleeping soundly send me dashing upstairs every half hour to check he is ok. i thought about one of those matresses when i was preggers but i agree with katet, it would make me more paranoid.

i have had a few tears in the past about wat could happen, so think its normal to worry about ur baby, im kinda glad i missed super nanny as oliver is same age as the baby they lost, i woulda prob sat up all night watching him.

i have now just talked myself into checking on him!
    not happy when he dont sleep not happy when he does! i cant win,lol. xx
  • oh thank god i'm not the only one thought i was going mad! i haven't wanted to mention to friends or other family cos wasn't sure if i sounded nerotic,you've made me feel alot better,i was watching supernanny & it started me thinking again!
    i have also just gone & checked on Grace & had to sneak out of her room cos i nearly woke her up witht the squeeky floorboards!

[Modified by: cloclo on August 29, 2007 09:43 PM]
  • I have the angel care monitor and would not be without it i still check on lo lots but it does give me peace of mind, we had one for our middle child and it once went off she had wriggled off the mat right to the top of the cot. The mat senses the slightest breathing movement and you can adjust the sensitivity..Just remember to turn it off when you tale lo out else you find yourself running back to turn it off...
    It is something that i think all parents worry about but i would say the monitor is well worth the money if only for that extra reassurance...
  • Hi

I worry all the time about Reece choking and not knowing what to do. He is 6 months now and I gave him bread and butter for the first time yesterday but ended up fishing it out of his mouth as he managed to get a load in at once. I'm glad Im not the only one worrying .... Jo x
  • squeeky floorboards, lol cloclo im the same i have to remember wich ones make a noise it looks so funny when im negotiating noisey floor while carrying bottle nappy etc out of room without waking lo, then doing it all again when i go to bed. xx
  • its mad isn't it? i have to admit sometimes i do stand on the squeeky one on purpose if i havn't seen her move when ive opened the door i know i'll be cursing if she wakes up properly! i'm just so pleased i'm not the only one who does all this!
  • We have the tommee tippee sensor mat monitor and i have to say it gives you complete reassurance. When she is asleep upstairs and we have the monitor downstairs you hear a little beep which is her breathing which is the best sound ever! It makes you paranoid a little at first but tbh you actually switch off to the beeps as you get used to them. The alarm has gone off a few times when she has wiggled away from the sensor and oh my life you get the shock of your life but i truly wouldn't be without this kind of monitor as it gives you complete peace of mind and we worry a lot less than we would have done without it. x
  • ive got one payed ??90 for it, but its such a peace of mind, i got it when she was 2 weeks old coz the fist week i couldnt sleep at all, i kept laying awake to make sure she was breathing x
  • hi, i always think about cot death i think you just cant help it when your a mum. ive moved joshua into his own room, hes 15 weeks old and i miss him loads but he was too big for his moses and the cot doesnt fit inot our room but i check on him every hr or so and i can hear him turning in the night but i miss him. for me if i didnt move him now i would never do it...the best thing is when i go into his rm in the morning and he gives me the biggets smile or if hes just laying there sucking his thumb its the cutest x
  • I had one of those sensor mats for my lo & I honestly dont think I could have done without it. It meant that I could have agood nights sleep reassurred that if anything was wrong an alarm would alert me. For me it was worth every penny & I still have it for my next one.

Hilary
  • hi, youre definitely not the only one, i bought ine of the angel care monitors when my last was born and it has really given me piece of mind especially when they move into their own room. The only time it ever went off was when alice (whos nearly 3) moved right up to the top of her cot and turned sideways across it so she was no where near the sensor mat.