Forum home Babies Baby

Freezing meat

Ok so this is one of those stupid questions, you know the answer to, but just need the reassurance! If I have packaged chicken in the fridge, cook it, puree it and put it in ice cube trays. It's fine to defrost, reheat and give lo as normal? Also say I use frozen mince to make cottage pie, it's ok to freeze the cottage pie afterwards? Because I'm not defrosting, then refreezing the frozen meat, it's been cooked. I know they sound like such basic questions! But firstly I don't cook, and secondly if I do I don't freeze it, I eat it! image Thanks for your help. xx

Replies

• Yep Hun it's fine to cook fresh chicken, freeze it then defrost.
    I've never cooked frozen meat, then put back in the freezer then defrost. I don't think you can defrost, cook, freeze, defrost again if that makes sense?? I haven't done it that way anyway lol x
  • Hey I always wondered if you could freeze, say mince defrost cook into say a lasagne then refreeze and you can found this from this website HTH. x
    You can also refreeze raw food too if you don't use it never new that!!

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/focus_on_freezing/index.asp

Refreezing
    Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 ????F.

If you purchase previously frozen meat, poultry or fish at a retail store, you can refreeze if it has been handled properly.

[Top of Page]

Cooking Frozen Foods
    Raw or cooked meat, poultry or casseroles can be cooked or reheated from the frozen state. However, it will take approximately one and a half times as long to cook. Remember to discard any wrapping or absorbent paper from meat or poultry.

When cooking whole frozen poultry, remove the giblet pack from the cavity as soon as you can loosen it. Cook the giblets separately. Read the label on USDA-inspected frozen meat and poultry products. Some, such as pre-stuffed whole birds, MUST be cooked from the frozen state to ensure a safely cooked product.
  • U can defrost, cook & freeze meat again because you have cooked it it has taken out the bad stuff. U just can't defrost & refreeze without cooking. Anything that has been cooked can be frozen again. I made lots of food from frozen meat & refroze while pg so had food to eat after lo was here.

Hth
    Jayne xx
  • Thanks girls. That's what I thought. Like I say, just needed the confirmation. :\) xx