Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Problems with newborn nappies and leaks

Hi

I gave birth to Gabriel on the 23rd September (so not even a week old) and hubby and I are struggling with newborn nappies. Even if we point his "equipment" down we are still finding that wee appears to be leaking out the legs and up his back. We had to change him 3 times today because of it.

We have tried Huggies, Pampers and Sainsburys own so presumably it must be the way we are putting them on. We are terrified of disturbing the umbilical stump so perhaps we are not doing the nappy up tight enough or pulling it high enough up the body? I am also worried about the nappy rubbing on his legs if it is too tight!!

It is driving us mad. Do we just need to tighten everything up and pull the nappy higher once the stump has dropped off or should we be looking for a different nappy?

All advice gratefully received.

C.

:\?

Replies

• Options
    If it's leaking out the legs then it's probably because you aren't doing the nappies up tight enough. They are so stretchy that you can't really put them on tightly enough to be uncomfortable, and you should find that if you fold down the front of the nappy at the top it clears his umbilical stump.
    Hope that helps, and congratulations on your new arrival image
    xx
  • Options
    i'd try doing them up a bit tighter, but i did have problems with huggies nappies, ds has no bum at all and huggies always seemed to leak unless i used them when he was getting towards the end of the weight scale there intended for so he filled them out a bit more. as bedhead says we used to do them up and they would be above his cord and then we would fold the top over.

congratz on the arrival of gabriel

xx
  • Options
    I always found that Pampers leaked up the back anyway but as it's not a brand-specific prob I agree, try tighter. He'll soon let you know if he's uncomfortable.

I found that it was almost impossible to do nappies up too tightly! - I pulled them as tight as I could around the middle. When she was newborn, this meant they met in the middle.

Congrats on little Gabriel, make the most of his scrummy newborn loveliness :\)

• Options
    Hi I had exactly the same problem when George was born. Hes 7 weeks now and Ive found pampers the best (found huggies rubbish) like the other girls said make sure its on tight enough, even at 7 weeks the tabs still meet on George, also make sure its all folded out correctly at the sides, around the legs and up his back. I pick him up and pull it up around his back.

Im not sure if the leaks stop as well when they get abit bigger and fill the nappies better as we have no where near as many now, only the occasional one.

Hope this helps, I know how annoying it is!!!

Claire xx
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies. It was interesting to read your views on Huggies and Pampers. However, we shall tighten them up and as the stump is about to drop off, we will be able to really hoist the nappy up his body!!

Fingers crossed!

C.x