Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Reflux and wind - worse after weaning?

Hi ladies, hoping those with refluxy/windy babies could give me their experiences. Did starting solids make your baby's reflux/wind better or worse?

I started weaning Hugo (24 weeks) on the weekend and so far it seems to have made things worse. He is on IG for reflux but that doesn't seem to be dealing with his acid as effectively now that we've introduced solids. He is back to looking really uncomfortable, arching, pulling his legs up, squealing and screeching and grunting, as well as being in a constant bad mood (as you would be if you were in pain!) He's also got the wet hiccups again, farting, burping and possetting a lot more (milk only, not food)

So far I have only been giving him fruit (banana/apple/pear) mixed with a teaspoon of baby rice around mid morning and he is otherwise exclusively breastfed. It's really disrupting his sleep as well - nighttime and daytime.

So just wondering if anyone else went through this and whether I should just push on through, or stop giving him solids altogether, or demand a stronger reflux medicine? My local HV is terrible so don't want to go to her if I can avoid it, and my GP isn't really that up to speed on reflux so I don't trust him to give me the best advice!

thanks

Peeptoe and a farting, burping, hiccuping, vomiting Hugo (24+3)

Replies

• Hi

I started my LO on baby rice one week ago and it has made her wind even worse which is sooo upsetting as it was starting to get a bit more manageable. Did some googling and I think baby rice could be the cuplrit so I'm going to try only fruit and veg for a few days to see if that makes it better. I was really looking forward to weaning but it's been a nightmare so far image

Xx
  • i suspect my daughter has reflux and i will go to gp. as gp can refer to paeds team at hospital as there are stronger anti reflux meds, ranitidine ect.
  • My son has reflux and I have been advised that Banana can really make their reflux worse so it might be worth stopping that to see if it helps.