Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

money! ;'-(

My maternity leave ends next week :'-( and I have just spoken to my line manager who said that he doesn't think they will have much work for me - and that I should look into finding something else as well. I am gutted because I LOVE my job, and as it is sessional it would be perfect to fit round Abby (I could work when my mum is off - so she could have Abby) but I would need to do at least 1 or 2 shifts a week to be able to manage financially, and from talking to my manager 1or 2 shifts a month is closer the mark.

So I can either give up my job completely and look for something else - I would probably need to work full time anywhere else to get the same kind of income (I am very unlikely to get something which pays similar to what I was on) I don't want to leave Abby for that long - and I would need to pay for full time childcare (my mum works shifts - so she wouldn't be able to have her full time!) It would mean putting her into a nursery which I really don't want to do. Or I could look into claiming benefits - which I don't want to do, and I doubt I would be entitled to anything anyway since Neil earns about ??25k - maybe I should divorce him?

Does anyone have ANY advice at all?

Nx

:'-(

Replies

• hi has there always been the chance you would get less work?? I'm sure you should be able to go back to your same job, with the same hours after maternity leave as you had before, i know there's major reorginisation going on where i work but my job is more protected whilst i'm on mat leave than if i was at work as if they do anything to my job i can claim sexual discrimination.
    I'm sure someone will be along who know's for deffinate and i'll have a look see what i can find
    xx
  • it was in my contract that they are under no obligation to offer me work, and that i was under no obligation to accept work. I just did the hours I wanted to - which worked fine, but it also means that they don't have any responsibilities to me now.
  • What about still doing the 1/2 shifts they can offer you (and more if there is) and then working from home the rest of the time to make up the difference. That was what I did when I went back only 2 days a week I started selling Usborne books from home with max alongside me to make up the difference. It works a treat for us - if you want to even just find out some more please just email books@the-mountfords.co.uk
  • thanks maximum - I already sell Usbourne books, but I don't make much money from it at all - and certainly not enough to bulk out my income enough. I am just nota natural salesperson!

xxx

• hhhhmmmm - ok then back to what you already do - do you work through an agency or something? IS there anywhere else near you were you could get the same kind of work? Could you get some evening shifts somewhere when oh is in to look after lo?

mmmmm - tricky - I know nothing about credits really so no idea if you would or wouldn't get them!
  • Thanks MaxiMum.

I have spoken to the job centre, who said that I will be eligable for JSA, providing I doless than 16 hours a week (suits me fine - I doubt i will get 16 hours a week) but I have no idea howmuch that will be. I need to go in and speak to them after my mat leave ends (Monday).

I have also enquired about registering as a childminder, but that looks like a long process, and I am going to have a ring round schools this morning to see about getting stalls at christmas fairs (Usbourne).

• I thought about registering as a childminder and did some of the courses but it is quite a process and even then it is not really a guarenteed income!