Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

full of cold and very sleepy any ideas?

My lo is 6 months next week and he has got his first proper cold and is sooooo snuffly. He is struggling to breathe so i have vapour rub for his chest and a karvol plug in. He is coughing more than usual and is breathing very heavily but his temperature has not been 'high' although higher than his normal temp.

What I am concerned about is he always fights sleep during the day and when he does have a nap it is usually less than half an hour and only one of the naps in days lasts 1 hour if i am lucky, but since he has caught the cold he is really dozy. He has had 3 naps today and the last one (he is still asleep) started just after 5pm. He is normally in bed now but he hasnt even woke up for his feed and is still snuggled up next to me. Is this just his body trying to recover or should I be concerned about the amount of sleep he is having.

He sleeps 12 hours each night so I know it's not due to missing it in the evening. :\?

Replies

• My lo is 7 months and has had a couple of colds which effect sleep and feeding. She'll sleep more during the day (less at night because of not being able to breathe properly being lay down) just like we do when we're full of cold. Its horrible as you can't give lo anything to help them. Just keep an eye on temp and if still same in day or so I'd just give GP a call more for reassurance.
    I find lots of cuddles help!! Try and keep fluids intake up
    Hope your lo is better soon
  • saline nose spray too will help to clear nose. vapour rub as you no. childrens olbis oil you can get now- i got mine in tesco. put on muslin then attached near cot .