Forum home Babies Baby

Baby sign language

Help!
I fancy teaching Bronwyn baby sign language. Has anyone else done this? I would love some advice and pointers to get me started. I have got some info from the internet but would love some more personal advice!!

Thank you

Replies

• Hi caroline
    We used to watch mr tumble on ceebeebies and riley picked up sign quite quick,i helped him learn it by watching myself to.THere is a local song and sign session held in the sure start centre here all the time only its on in the morning when i do he shopping.Should change the shopping day.
    Its great for them and riley was able to tell me ifhe was in pain or just wanted juice.
    Check with your local sure start if you have one.

xx
  • I already have, they don't do it. At the risk of sounding like a snob the area I live in doesn't seem to have people who take up things like that. They would rather sit around gossiping whilst their kids cause trouble!! The baby massage class was cancelled, as was the yoga classes as only 1 or 2 people wanted to do them.
  • Hi ya,thats realy unfair.
    I was doing a computer course and 3weeks before our exams it was cancelled and ment to be re-done sept this year but no one heard anything about it.
  • I live in a very small town which is geared up for tourists. The standard of services provided for us locals isn't great. Sure start is slowly improving this but unfortunately people don't take up what is offered. As these thigs are offered on a use it or lose it basis things aren't likely to improve.
  • Thats realy bad,they are ment to support the community not make it hard for the ones who do want these things.hope they improve much quicker in the new year for you.

In the mean time you can get books and dvd from the libary to learn from.

xx
  • Sure Start are doing a fab job in improving facilities for kids and parents in the area. The problem is the type of person that lives here, I'm not sure how I can put this without it sounding dodgy. According to the local statistics office, only 4% of adults in this area have qualifications other than GCSE's, the majority are either on benefits or do seasonal work cleaning caravans. They are generally not interested in the sure start services which are aimed at them! I was actually willing to pay for and travel to baby massage, I expected the course to be full but I was the only one interested. So in the end I did travel and pay for it.
  • Thats realy sad,i dont think the majority here would do better with the G.C.S.E thing,i no i did good in mine but the sure start is always full of kids mums and expectant mum.
  • Hi,

Just been on Cbeebies website with Jack and there is a section on baby sign language if you are interseted.

Here's the link,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/somethingspecial/signs/babysigns.shtml

Hope it helps.

Zoe xx