Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Only taking 4oz. Was on 7oz!!

Hi.

Jacob is currently acting very strange. Until yesterday he was taking 6-7oz no problem, altho he never seems to demand food anymore but will take it quite happily. He's 10 and 1/2 weeks old.

Yesterday lunchtime he got to about 4oz and starting wriggling and writhing about, crying and pushing the bottle away where he was wriggling so much. It was as if he was in pain or something or had alot of trapped wind. He's done this every feed since. He'll cry for a bit but won't take the bottle again without kicking off.

He was winding fine so I really don't know what the problem is. I'm finding it very frustrating and upsetting that he's not eating properly. He has a slight cold but is still all smiles when u lie him on his changing mat.

Jus wish he could tell me the problem. Have called the HV but waiting for call back.

Anyone experienced something similar or have any advice cos it's getting me down :cry:

Thanks, Jules

[Modified by: julesb31 on 30 September 2008 17:26:31 ]

Replies

• hi love i din haveing problems with faith and her bottle she 23 week she din playing up for a long time i end taking her to GP has she not putting alot of weight on she going to have some blood test. i wound do a food diary and show it to HV . How old is he and wont weight is he try not to worry i do now how you feel good luck
    caz
  • My Charlotte still does this now sometimes.

It could be anything to tell you the truth! I normally blame teething as they can get fussy but I don't know how old your lo is. You said he's had a cold so he could be having trouble breathing thru his nose and feeding and it upsets him. Or it could be trapped wind. When he's lying down try rubbing his tummy in a large circle around his belly button in a clockwise direction (never anti-clockwise as this can bung them up as clockwise follows the direction of the intestines). This can help release any wind. also pushing his legs round in a cycling motion can help.

Another thing is going up a size on his teats - maybe he's not getting milk fast enough?

Just a few ideas.... & try not to get upset as lo will pick up on this xx
  • How old is he? It could definitely be the teat size. Gabe did this at about 10 weeks. He had been drinking 7oz but then had 4-5. Changed him to medium flow teats and he had 7oz again x