Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

a 10 month old and I am petrified to give her finger foods !

Hi all
I must sound so silly but I am petrified of my little one chocking and just can't bring myself to give her anything to eat in her hands apart from rusks. I tried a little bread the other day but had my fingers in her mouth before she knew what was happening and I think I frightened her, poor baby ! She copes well with rusks as they melt in her mouth. I have bought one of those net things that you put food in and she will suck on banana and fruit from it but i just can't seem to get my head around giving her food to learn to chew and still purree everything. She has now got 3 teeth.
Does anyone else feel like this? When does it pass???
Hugs
Tracey
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi tracey, my sister is exactly the same as you as theres nothing wrong with it, ur just worried about ur lil girl. But at 10monhs and with 3 teeth she'll be fine, try her on light things first like a banana that has been left in a dry place so is slightly soft, or have a look in the supermarket to 10m+ they have a good range of buscuits, crisps etc. I give my son bloody bourbons and nice biscuits lol he loves em. maybe you could take a first aid course it might put ur mind at rest for other things aswell your anxious about wit ur daughter. xx
  • Options
    I did not start with finger foods until Maddie was 10 months as I was so scared.
    She has a bad habit of shoving the whole piece in her mouth all at once.
    All I did was start with things that melt well and cut up into small pieces.
    It does get better.
  • Options
    While you can still get them, try her on a strawberry. Morgana loves holding them (I give her a whole one, bigger ones work better than smaller ones) and they are so soft and squishy, there isn't much choking risk. She just takes bites out of it and mushes the rest up in her little hands so prepared for an awful mess image
  • Options
    as everyone has said, soft things are great - i give all fruit except grapes (these i cut up - i do have a thing about them!). i havent yet given raisins as issy has still not got teeth! (10 months!)

Organix range are brilliant for things - they do wotsit type things, biscuits (try heinz biscotti too),

bread is great - they do tend to suck more than bite and chew.

with her "normal" food - stop the puree-ing and just mash things - that way she'll be used to the lumps in her mouth and learn to adjust to them - making her easier to handle finger foods.

you'll probably find that within no time she'll be eating anything she can get her hands on - as morighan says tho' - beware! it could get messy!!

i've never heard of this net that you have for fruit etc? where did you get that?
  • Options
    Thanks lots for all your advice. Will start today !!!
    This is the net thing, I bought mine here in Portugal but its the same thing.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2738035
    Hugs
    xxx
  • Options
    cheers tracey4 - i've never seen one of them before!!
  • Options
    I've been looking for one of those nets everywhere but couldn't remember the name!!
    I am the same as you Tracey4, petrified of Lo choking. My Lo is 7 months now and I know I have to start giving her lumpy foods, and I know she will gag but, my Mum kept panicking and shouting 'She's choking, she's choking' every time Maddy gagged. And, although I know she isn't and that it's a reflex she has to overcome, my Mum has put that fear so firmly in my mind that I am too scared to even try a lumpy food. image