Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

G/Cing- back to back baby at 39+6....

Sorry to G/C but did anyone else have this? I'm 39+6 and have just had a midwife appointment, and have been told that baby's head is 4/5ths engaged, but the stubborn little thing has decided to go back to back, and for this reason, she didn't want to attempt the planned sweep as baby wasn't in the optimal position for labour & delivery.

I've now got a list of exercises to do to try and turn baby - and I've got another appointment next Tuesday when I will be 40+6 and will be having a sweep, no matter what position baby is in.
Did any of you ladies have this so far into their pregnancy? And if so, did you manage to turn baby, or did you have a back to back labour? Are back to back labours really long and painful and always end up with tears, stitches etc??

Really feel like a failure, as it's obviously my positioning and posture over the last few weeks that has caused baby to move into this position, and now I feel that with the head being so much engaged, that it's going to be a problem for little one to move in the right position, and that I'm going to have a long and painful labour ahead of me!! image

Thanks
Leanne (39+6) xx

Replies

• Lucas turned from back to back during labour (I was induced at 41+5), so there is hope for you yet!!!

Hxx
  • My LO was back to back I had a 8 hour labour from first contraction to delivery, no tears and a homebirth. It was really painful due to contractions in back and tummy but a hot water bottle and G&A solved that.

I went 11 days over too and had a sweep at 7 days over which I think helped as I lost my plug at 8 and 9 days and really nested (cleaned house from top to bottom) at 10 days then woke in labour on day 11.

Good luck hun.x
  • Thank you for your quick replies ladies. Just panicked when this has happened so close to the end.
    I'm going to try my best with these exercises and try to move baby!!
    Thanks for your reassurance though
    xx
  • Hi Hun,

I had a back to back labour with my LO. We knew he was back to back from 38 weeks and could not turn him...though we tried everything. I was given an early sweep as I had preeclampsia. The sweep did not work though and I went into natural labour on my due date.

He was my first baby so I have no other labours to compare it with. I went into labour at 11 in the morning and was still only 1 cm dilated at 10 in the night! However at 2:56 in the morning he was born! I was told by the midwife that it would be a very long night as I was not progressing and she refused to examine me again. She was extremely shocked when she offered to give me another sweep to see that the baby's head was crowned!

The contractions were concentrated in my back, I found getting my OH to apply pressure on the base of my spine helped with the pain. I also found rocking on my ball helped!

I can honestly say I really enjoyed my labour; I loved every minute of it and would do it again right now so...it can't be that bad.

Good luck trying to turn your baby but if you can't please don't stress too much! Everyone labours differently, I had read so many horror stories about back to back labours and I was so apprehensive!

Also take lots of lucozade in with you as you will need the energy!

Good luck hun! Let us now how you get on with turning the baby!
  • I went into labour at 37+5 and LO was back to back but the incompitent midwives didnt realise this until I was 8cm dilated. It was painful (but I have nothing to compare it to as this was my first and I used a tens machine and a water pool for pain relief). It was decided that because LO's heartbeat was difficult to find at times they wanted him out quicker so I had to have a forceps delivery to turn him and an episiotimy, I healed really quickly though and have had no subsequent problems. Good luck - try not to worry
  • Thanks ladies. I was speaking to my mum earlier and when she was pregnant with me, I was back to back and only turned during labour.

Stephi - yes, the past week or so I've had bad backache but thought as it was low down that it was early labour symptoms or something. But midwife said this explains the backache.

Kicks are still on the left hand side, so baby is still comfy against my back, despite all the exercises I've been doing this morning!

It's nice to read that not all back to back labours are long & result in tears etc. Thank you ladies
    xxx
  • My DD was back to bak too. Also had the severe backache too, used to be up many times in the night bent over double on the stairs to relieve the pain! My contractions were all in my back, but had a natural birth, 5 and half hours with just gas&air. Had to have a cut and stitches but I did actually ask for it! Looking back, the labour wasn't as bad as I had heard it would be with a back to back baby.

Oh and don't stress too much about doing the exercises - they do help for some woman, but not me! I was on my hands and knees for couple of weeks before the birth painting the skirting boards and she didn't turn!

Good luck with the birth, you'll finally be able to meet your beautiful baby!
    xx
  • Hey hun

My lo was back to back for most of the pregnancy think she just found it comfortable! unfortunately she didnt turn in labour and although I went from 4cm to fully in just 3 hours on gas and air and in the pool (would highly recommend) her head just wouldnt come down after 2 hours of pushing, even forceps couldnt get her out so ended up with a c section.

Im sorry this is probably not what you want to hear...but even after al that I woud do it all again to have my little girl! in most cases babies do turn in labour and I think its only in a very small number of cases where the babies cant be born vaginally...

Really hope it all goes ok for you

Love Luc xxx
  • I got to hospital and was told the reason I wasn't feeling my contractions was because my baby was back to back - she wasn't at my last midwife appointment! Anyway, I had a quick labour 1 hour 46 mins and Lily turned as she came out. For this reason I did tear but the weird thing was I had no idea when to push as all I felt was back ache due to her being back to back.

xx
  • both of my labours have been back to back. My first got stuck and needed foreceps but my son was also back to back, i didnt have any pain in my back, i had no pain relief, and he came out fine by himself. I did need stitched but it was nothing major. back to back labours arent always the nightmare they tell you they will be. After 2 of them i have come to the conclusion that it must be somthing to do with the shape of my pelvis.