Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Formula feeding question

I am formula feeding my baby (apatamil) and during the day he seems to go about every 4 hours and during the night he may wake about 5hourly for his feed. I let him wake me as i believe a hungry baby will tell you and he certainly does. But come about 6 in evening he seems to want to cluster feed, he'll have 2 bottles quite soon after each other maybe 2 hours at max between them.He seems alot happier when we give him the bottle as sometimes i try everything else first. He drinking usually about 4oz but occasionally during day dont drink it all. He sometimes in afternnon/evening bring most of bottle back up (which mw said is normal) Can i overfeed him do you think?
Lucy And Luen (1 week today) xxx

Replies

• Hi, i was told you cant over feed a baby, they will only take what they are comfortable with, i wish lacey would drink that much lol, x
  • Oh excellent that good to know it just one of them paranoid mummy questions, i mean i worked with children. At minute though hubby seems to have better advice lol!! Do you think it be too early to introduce cooled boiled water? xx
  • i dont think it matters tbh about when you introduce the water i would just say that alot dont like it lol, others fill up on water so use your mummy intuition! i know all mine had it from about that age but they hated it lol x
  • hi luc,

how's little luen? just wanted to say be careful giving your bubs water so early cos it can mess with their electrolytes and natural salts ?(so make them too diluted) which in turn make baby v poorly. It's best to only give water on mw/ hv advice.

(sorry for crappy spelling/ grammar- i'm expressing whilst i type!!)
  • Ha ha thanks Bert! Luen is fine good all day it just the evening period which am not complaining about lol. Just wanted tips on how to help him as hate seein my boy cry. I rang mw anyway as i wanted to check that i'm not overfeeding and as i have read not to give water til few months old. SHe told me carry on how i am as sounds fine but dont do water!! xx
  • hiya im formula feeding and we sometimes get odd days when noah will go 3-4hrs then just before bath time he wants feeding 2-3hrs i just try and not let him go more then 3and half hours in the day so hes not so hungry at night. ive given him cooled boiled water if hes really upset and he will only take like 2-3oz then sleep till hes ready for feed i dont think theres anything bad about giving it at all id just do it little and often which my midwife says is fine todo. noah is 5weeks and has 6oz bottles !! and i was really paranoid i was over feeding but hes not sick or anything and midwife are over the moon with his weight hes very happy smiley 5weeks old so i just think tht every mummy knows there baby better then anyone ..even the midwifes! lol xxxx