Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

She wont eat her food, except yoghurts !!!

I dont know what to try. For the last few days trying to give Charlotte her lunch/dinner has been a real trauma ! She just doesnt want her warm food, her petite filous, organix crisps and rusks she gobble up but her normal food which she used to LOVE she now cries, purses her lips shut and shakes her head around. But put a yoghurt in front of her and her mouth is open faster than you can shovel it in.

I dont know what to do, feeding time is becoming so stressful ! We took her to the doctors today as we thought she might have an ear infection as she kept grabbing one ear and with the grumpiness but he said although it looks pink he doesnt think its infected.

Could it be related to teething that she doesnt want it ? Could the heat of the food be painful for her (its not too hot btw I do check), I cant surely just let her survive on yoghurts and organix snacks !!!

Replies

• Options
    Ava does this - she did it really badly just before she came down wiht a bad cough and cold (think maybe sore throat) and she does it a bit with teething too (can make a real fuss of the meal but then gobbles down the yoghurt)..... and snacks she will always eat!!! Did the dr look at her throat? or in her mouth at all?
  • Options
    ps - ava also went off milk at the same time!
  • Options
    ps - ava also went off milk at the same time!
  • Options
    No he just looked in her ear. He gave us antibiotics but then told us not to give them to her ! Said wait and see if she gets worse, and plod on with calpol in the meatime.

Its lunch time soon and i'm dreading it again.
  • Options
    Wow, I could have written it myself. Breakfast is going really well (porridge) but lunch and diner is a nightmare. If he eats snacks I can get some of his lunch and diner in so he at least has something. And than he opens his mouth for yoghurts. Milk is fine as well, it is just the food. I am now trying something a bit more runny to see if it is that, otherwise I don't know. (will let you know after lunch) He does eat his snacks happily, so I now put some on his tray and he eats a bit of both.

He was however yesterday very grumpy which he normally isn't. He probably has a cold coming or something, cause me and oh are both sick. I had to give him some nurofen and some calpol later on as well to just calm him down. So I think he is in some sort of pain and that that causes feeding times to be a nightmare.

Is there anything she does eat? Michael still eats porridge, so if everything else fails I will go back to that and slowly increase the other amounts of solids again when he feels better.
  • Options
    She'll eat porridge, some mornings really happily other mornings its a battlefield again. She's still asleep at the moment so looks like lunch time is gonna be later than usual. I might try giving her the food cold, see if she eats it then if she does then it could be the heat of the food bothering her.
  • Options
    Have you tried finger foods with her?

Daisy did something similar (although is now back on a spoon) and I resorted to only giving her finger foods for ages!

If you have a look at My Other Topics, there is one there with ideas for finger foods - it might be that she is just trying to assert some independence...

Got to be worth a try!

C xxxxxx
  • Options
    Yeah she'll eat finger foods sort of, likes to eat toast, crisps, rusk, sometimes sandwiches. But she doesnt eat alot of them, seems to play with them mostly. Except her crisps of which there is never even a crumb left ! LOL I worry as she doesnt eat much when I give her finger foods that she isnt getting enough to eat.
  • Options
    Well today Michael ate more than he has over the last few days. And no crying involved, as soon as he started to be unhappy I stopped and let him play with his finger foods for a while. It seems so much easier now he has some food to play/eat with, cause he actually opens his mouth again for the spoon with food. You could try that.

I don't like the idea of only finger foods either. But Michael does get a lot of finger food throughout the day. He has some snacks at 10 before nap, he has some around 2 if he is getting tired and hasn't had much lunch and sometimes he gets something after diner as well if diner is early. He always gets finger foods when we actually have a meal with him (in weekends, during the week I eat when he is asleep and oh is coming home at 9 in the evening, so is not eating with us at all) I do resort in eating fruit whilst he is eating and giving him a bite from it every now and than.image
  • Options
    I know what you mean with finger foods, but the idea of them is that the child will eat just what they want, they will not starve themselves. Having said that, since Daisy has had a spoon again, she's put some decent weight on - however, hers is reflux based so it's a bit different...

The only thing I can say is that it's better for her to get something rather than nothing with finger foods. Sometimes, I could get a spoon in her mouth without her realising when she was playing with the finger foods too!

Hope it gets better soon
    C xx
  • Options
    ditto mrs buttons, ds wnet thru (stillis in) a phase where he's not keen on spoon feeding, unless of course its yoghurt, from a bout 6.5 months, what iod id was spoon feed his brekkie, plus possibly half a piece of toast (now a whole piece lol at 9 months), the toast wld take his mind off the spoon and u can nip it in when he was opening his mouth to eat the toast lol. then at lunch he had and still has a sandwich with somehting pastey as a filling so its sticks together, some finger foods, either the organix cripssor cherry toms, cucumber etc, and then i find because i haven't over stuffed him at lunch he's much more receptive to a spoon dinner, but he still has some finger foods then too, like a rice cake etc to help and his own spoon. then he'll have some pieces of fruit and then he'll have his yoghurt, job done. hth xx
  • Options
    Riley's nearly 9 months and has been the same for the last few weeks with spoon feeding but will take anything in his hand and eat it. So I've been trying to give him more finger foods and if I give him puree I'll give him something he can hold and eat as well, evan a piece of bread is enough to keep him distracted whilst I spoon in the puree! x