Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Move onto Hungry baby milk????

Hi Ladies, am after some advice yet again!!

Nathan has 5-6 x 7oz botlles a day (just increased to 8oz today). He always without fail drains every bottle and isnt particularly sicky. He has hungry baby milk for his last feed at 8.30pm, and regular milk for day feeds. He was sleeping until 7am each morning and going 3 - 31/2 hours between feeds. The last week or two he has been becoming unsettlesd at about 4am and then waking by 6am at the latest (was previously a very good sleeper). He also is crying for a feed every 21/2 - 3 hours max.

Do you think I should use hungry baby milk at every feed. I was happy to but have just read the box and it says only use on advice of health visitor or Dr??????

Also, what is different about hungry baby milk. I use Aptimal and have seen on other posts people mentioning hb milk being thicker and needing bigger teats but Aptimal seems to be the same thickness as normal and lo having no probs with size 2 teats?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nathan is 13 weeks old - back of tub says 5 feeds of 7oz

[Modified by: MumDonna on 13 August 2008 20:16:06 ]

Replies

• I know it does say health professional or doctor but I know a lot of people swap their lo to it anyway, I swapped Gabe at 6 weeks as he was wanting 6oz every 2 1/2 hours or so. Got to be honest, it didnt make a huge difference!

It's no thicker than normal milk, but it does seem to dissolve slower in the water. Gabe has size 2 teats and sma white and is fine with that. The difference is it is a casein based protein which is harder to digest so keeps lo's fuller longer. I have noticed Gabe has pooed more on hungry baby milk (was once a day - now 3 times!)
  • i used Aptamil Extra from stopping bf at 6 weeks - it can be used from birth, but the idea is to leave them on First as long as you can! there used to be Milumil too- haven't seen it this time tho' so they must have stopped making it!

how old is Nathan? if you follow the guide on the back of the tub, if he is exceeding it massively, it may be worth changing over. otherwise, could he be ready for weaning?
  • Hi,
    I use Aptamil and changed Carrie onto hungry baby for every feed at around your lo's age. She wasnt waking in the night but seemed to want feeding more often in the day - my HV said to give her more (she was having 7oz's) but she didnt seem to want more at one time - just for it to last in her stomach a bit longer.
    Anyway, I phoned the Aptamil helpline as I wanted to know what the difference was and they told me the proteins in the hungry baby are slightly different so it takes longer to digest.
    We changed onto HB at every feed starting with the first one in the day - used the same size teats without any probs
  • Hi!

Ruby is also an Aptamil baby!
    From everything you've said I would definately put Nathan onto Hungry Baby milk, to try and put weaning off for a bit.

Ruby is very happy on HB milk so I would defo give it a try hun.

Let us know how you get on! xx