Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what time to wean

hi moms have started to wean my little boy, have been wondering what is the best time to offer the solids i have been giving him baby rice just before he finishes morning bottle and he has a bottle around 4, tea time then i've been trying solids at 5, then his last bottle is around 7 for bed,does this sound right, & any tips on what foods to try have been pureeing carrot with bit of potato as would like to make own food instead of jars? thanks x

Replies

• hi mom :\) butternut squash is a good leg to begin with as it has a sweet flavour. it's a bit like pumpkin so just need to chop up and either boil or steam it til soft. sweet potato is another one. :\) Is your little boy drinking his full bottle still at 7pm? If he is then 5pm is fine for his tea time, if not then just bring it to 4pm/4.30pm.. my son has his tea at 5pm too then bed at 7.30pm. good luck x
  • have a look on the cow & gate website too.. they have some good recipes.. :\) http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/en/article.asp?chco_id=6469&chli_id=&from=latest
  • I was having loads of problems with my 4 month old daughter, she decided she didn't want her bottle and was only sleeping 8 hours a day. My HV suggested it was time to wean and this has made a huge difference. Grace has her morning bottle around 8am and then some rice about 10am, she will then take her lunch time bottle about 12ish. I have been weaning now for 2 weeks and am going to introduce a second meal in the afternoon. I was told to introduce rice or puree when it isn't a 'meal time' so she gets used to eating and no fuss is made. Then eventually move this to a designated meal time and try to eat with her. Making the eating process fun is important too so she doesn't become a fussy eater or hung up on having to eat a certain amount of food. I am going to make my own puree's but have also bought some jars of organic food for her to try. The annabel karmel freezer cubes from boots are great as is her recipe book. I hope all goes well.

[Modified by: Jain on February 09, 2007 05:54 PM]
  • Hi Jain

Just wondered what difference weaning had made. My daughter is 20 weeks and only drinks 4 bottles a day as not really interested in any dream feeds and doesn't wake during the night. BUT she's a nightmare in the day and seems constantly unsettled, will NOT nap whatsoever and wondered if you think weaning helps?
  • Thanks for replys, thanks for cow&gate email wenders, will also bring time back to 4.30 as he hasn't been finishing his last bottle at 7pm, thanks again x
  • Hi Spenandlyns,
    I think it would help, but the best think to do is speak to your HV or Dr.
    Good Luck!
  • glad it worked for you.. xx :\) If you're doing your own just just a normal ice cube tray, once they're frozen just pop them out and bag them in plastic bags with the name/date written on the front. :\) then you can reuse the trays again to freeze more, also you buy a pack of 2 ice cube trays from asda for 60p!! xx