Forum home Babies Baby

When should I change my pram into a pushchair?

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about when to change a pram to a pushchair?
I've got a little girl who is 12 wks old and wondering if it's too early?

Replies

• Honestly I dont really know but I think its meant to be once they can sit up fully unaided. I had a postnatal group and they had a childrens phsyio there who said that until they are sitting up they should be kept flat as much as poss, on either belly or back.
  • Holly was about 4-5 months but I was a nightmare for buggys and prams ect and have had 5!! The last one was a bugaboo and we got it when she was 4 months and we had her in the carry cot for 2 weeks because she was so nosey and wanted to see about her. I think it depends on the baby tbh
  • I don't have a pram for my lo just a pushchair/travel system. As long as it lies flat you can use it from birth. If it doesnt lie flat then best to wait till your lo is sitting up unaided (around 5 - 7 months). To be honest I'm sooo glad I didn't buy a proper pram for my lo as he's really long and outgrew his moses basket at 6 weeks old so wouldn't have lasted 5 mins in a pram. x
  • I just have a pushchair that lies flat, and it has a semi reclined setting and a fully upright setting. I think Cole was about 10 or 11 weeks when we started putting it on the semi-reclined setting as he was trying to look around. He's almost 7 months now and he's started pulling himself upright sometimes when I put him in the pushchair semi-reclined
  • We did it when lo was too long for carry cot/pram thing. He was litterally touching top and botom when we changed because I loved it so much. He looks too grown up in the push chair!

I guess being able to hold their head up is another criteria, but probably depends on the pram. My lo is nearly 7 months and sometimes still looks really floppy and lost in the pushchair.
  • I changed my pram/pushchair around when Morgana was about 5 1/2 months. She just screamed lying down as she wanted to look around. She has been sitting up unaided since she was 8 1/2 months (she's a preemie so her development is a little behind), there is no way I could have kept her lying down til then! My pushchair has three incline positions, I started her on the second but lowest (lowest is like lying down but she didnt like that at all).