Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Turning over in the night

I know there was a post a few weeks ago about lo turning over in the night but just wondered what the outcome was? Emily is having all sorts of sleeping hassles at the moment. A couple of weeks ago she started taking 2 hours to settle for the night, which is not like her at all so I cut her down to 1 nap during the day and that seemed to help. Well it did for a few days now she has decided to sleep for 1/2 hour then wake up, turn herself over and cry for me to go up. If I just turn her over she gets really really upset so I have been picking her up (not a habit I really want to get into) and as soon as I do that she is asleep again. Then 1/2 hour later it happens all over again. For the last 2 nights I have given in and she has slept with me so I can at least get some sleep as I am absolutely shattered as she is upwardly mobile now and only has about 3/4 hour sleep during the day!!
Is this just a phase? and if so how long will it last? And if not how can I break her out of the habit without resorting to the duct tape???!!!!! :\?

Replies

• Options
    Hollys been turning over in her sleep then gets stuck!! She would roll all about her cot getting her arms caught in the bars and somehow turning herself right around?? What I have done is tuck her sleeping bag into the bottom of the cot under the mattress and she can't roll over image Not sure if you use a sleeping bag but maybe worth a try?
  • Options
    Hi, I did post a few weeks ago about my son who did this and would cry everytime. Now he does turn over but doesnt cry, i think hes got use to it. I Think you need to persivere im afraid. Have you tried leaving her on her front and see if she resettles? I did this with jayden, at first he would cry and id leave him longer each time and now he just sleeps on his front most of the time!!
  • Options
    Thank you. We have never used sleeping bags as our rooms get so hot I was worried about lo over heating, but may have to look into it now!
    I was wondering how long you leave them crying for? I hate to hear her as she gets so worked up and I think that she is never going to settle when she is like that. Should I leave her for just a minute, then 2 then 3 or is it more like 5 minutes, 7 minutes 10 minutes? It breaks my heart as she has never been a baby to cry very much and if she did then there was something wrong so I'd really appreciate any help to get through this - I know it is for her own good but I'm really not looking forward to it - about how long did it take? My nerves are shot already so not too long I hope image
  • Options
    You can start off by leaving her for a minute or two then going in, turning her back over give her a reassuring shush and stroke ont he head then leave, just make sure you dont pick her up because when you put her back down she will cry more! Even if shes still crying your meant to leave after a about a minute but thats up to you then leave it a bit longer and longer each time but never leave her longer then 20mins (if you get that far away) Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you so much - 20 minutes *gulp* I found it hard last night to last 20 seconds!! So far so good tonight (famous last words!!!) she has been asleep for about 40 minutes without a peep which is good compared to the last few nights - the night is yet young so we shall see how we go!!! Thank you again X
  • Options
    Awww thats good. In tesco you get these things like sleeping bags but they are think probably more like a sleepsuit but with no legs that are a very thin cotton (hope that makes sense?) they are about ??4 and very good great for hot babys and hot weather xxx
  • Options
    They sound excellent - I'll have to go and have a look tomorrow. At the moment she is just in a vest with a thin blanket over her legs so she can kick it off if she's hot so they sound perfect.
    I spoke too soon - we have just had the hardest half hour of my life - proper tears and lots and lots of sobs/screams/general loud noise!. She got herself so hot and worked up it was torture for me - she is still getting over it but asleep for now. If the number of times she tried to roll over last night is anything to go by we're in for a long night image
  • Options
    Awwww bless image Does she just wake up coz she cant get back over? Holly did that for about 10 days and then it didnt bother her and although she is always put to sleep on her back she rolls straight over onto her tummy.

I missed Hollys bed time by about an hour the other night and she has been a nightmare since and wants up at 3.30am and 5.30am for a bottle but she is in floods of tears so I totally sympathise with you!!

Huge hugs
    Amy xxx
  • Options
    Jayden was the same as Holly for about a week-2 weeks when he got on his belly he hated it and cried then ust kind of got use to it I hope she gets use to it soon for ya hun, i know how you feel!! x
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your advice - just a quick update. Last night after my traumatic 1/2 hour I was expecting a bad night but far from it! She woke up at about midnight and cried, I went in, turned her over and expected her to cry but she fell straight back to sleep!! Then at 1 am I heard a little wimper then another and was about to go in but it went quiet - I woke up at 4 am - nothing and again at 5.30 - nothing so I went to check on her and there she was zedding it away on her front!!
    Tonight she woke up while I was putting her down so I did the same, she didn't get quite so upset but took a little longer to go down but I think it was because it is so hot I've got all the windows open and whenever anyone outside yelled or spoke it disturbed her. Mondays is my swimming night but oh said that she cried a little at about 8.30 so he went in but she was then settling herself to sleep - again on her front so I'm wondering if we will get another quiet night!?
    It felt a bit easier tonight but it still breaks my heart, I hope it continues to improve - she may be sleeping like a baby but I'm awake most of the night listening in case she has woken up!!!!