Forum home Babies Baby

weaning question

My son is 4 months today. The HV said he won't need weaning for ages as he's really small and not a hungry baby. I've been told that at 6 months they have to have proper food as milk isn't enough. Surely then if I wait till 6 months I have to wean him quickly rather than a gentle build up with baby rice, veg etc? He has been quite a difficult baby with colic and the thought of drastically changing his routine to suddenly include a lot of real food is terrifying, I was hoping it could be a very gradual thing.

Replies

• no hun, even from 6month it can be very gradual. some people dont wean until upto 8months, i know my friend exclusively BF til 8month and LO was thriving. i'd say there's no hurry once you do start doing it, and it should be quite obvious when the time is right, your lo will be draining bottles and perhaps watching you whilst you eat and taking an interest in your food. probably waking up more in the night and earlier in the morning. ive just started with my 5month old and im only giving her one meal a day, just baby rice for now and she tends to lose interest after half of it, but i dont pressure her to have anymore. hope that helps xxx
  • Hia

I started weaning Ruby @ 5 1/2 months and have taken it really slow, like you i didn't want to drastically change everything and rush into things. She is just 7 months and is now upto 3 meals aday (only introduced the 3rd meal over the last few days).

Like linzimc has said you lo will let you know when he's ready, good luck when the times comes
    xxx
  • hi there, im still only giving my lo formula as he is showing no interest / signs of being ready yet. he is still below average weight for his age (14lb at nearly 6 months), still in 0-3 clothes and only takes most not all of a 7 oz feed 5 times a day, at best as its a struggle to get the 5th bottle in! let alone more!

i will gradually be weaning as not in any rush starting with baby rice and moving on as and when he's ready!

my oh was exclusivly BF fed untill his first birthday and he's now a 26 yr old 6ft 3in brick house so i'm not worried how long it'll take!

http://b1.lilypie.com/ov7vp1/.png