Forum home Babies Baby

Weanning

Hello mums and babys,
My little one is now 3months and i took her to a doctor that said that she was doing very well and can start introducing her to baby rice, i think she is still abit young, and seems to still be ok with her milk. I know the recommendations are to start weaning at 6 months or is that just for breastfeed babies. My lo is bottlefeed. At what age did you start weaning? What did you start with?
thanx allimage

Replies

• therre is a thread on here about baby led weaning, most people say that babies can't really digest anything but milk til they 6months. it applies to both bottle feed and brestfed babies. 3months a bit young in my opinion, maybe you can talk to your hv about it, or go to a mum and baby group, sure you will get lots of valuable advice there, some may be unwanted but thats wherei always go for advice, and on here of course!
  • If you feel she is still okay with milk i would keep it at that. You know your baby better than your doctor and i think it's best to wait as nearer to 6 months if possible to start weaning. Obviously all babies are different and some start earlier which is fine as they obviously need to but if you feel she doesn't need to then i wouldn't. xx
  • iagree if you feel she is doing great on milk keep at it trust your instincts. my freind weaned her son at 11 weeks to try help reflux and he is doing great but every baby is different my son is 9 weeks and a very hungry baby but i cant imagine him having food yet he still a baby xxx
  • What are the signs that baby is ready for more than milk???
  • my friend just started weaning when baby tried to grab food off their plates! she is 5 months.
  • Yeah when she watches you eat or tries to take the food off your plate. Also if you feel she is getting hungrier between feeds or waking more in the night. xx
  • hiya i started solids with my lo at 8 weeks as he was feeding 8oz every two hours i tried hungry baby formula and he was happy for a little while but soon got fed up and would scream for more after. I tried baby rice to begin with which he hated , so put him on rusks from that he started sleeping through. Hes now 14weeks and loves cow and gate frutapura. If you dont feel that youre little one is ready i would leave it for a bit longer x
  • hiya i started solids with my lo at 8 weeks as he was feeding 8oz every two hours i tried hungry baby formula and he was happy for a little while but soon got fed up and would scream for more after. I tried baby rice to begin with which he hated , so put him on rusks from that he started sleeping through. Hes now 14weeks and loves cow and gate frutapura. If you dont feel that youre little one is ready i would leave it for a bit longer x

hi lorry i have started to wean joseph a little he 13 weeks he only has i little baby rice once a day but he sleeps alot better he also a hungry big baby and feeds 7 oz every 2.5-3 hours and watches us eat copying movements etc! he loves the rice and screams when its all gone until he is plugged with his bottle. did your lo digest fruit puree etc?? i am a little worried as they say babies cant digest food before 16 weeks? i know its only 3 weeks away and he has no probs with stomach, bowels etc but i still worry i suppose! xxx
  • Hi hun. matt wasnt keen on rice but he loved rusk. matt's fine with the fruit puree i started given him half a pot of the cow and gate frutapura to begin with his poo turned every shade of green which is apparently normal when you begin to wean . Matt had pyloric stenosis and a hernia so i was concerned at first but he was fine. i suggest to start with a little at one feed a day then after a couple of days increase it, most of all do what you feel comfortable with . my health visitor went mental when i told her .Another health visitor said if he needs solids he needs solids .Is your baby on hungry baby formula x laura
  • Advice used to be 12 weeks or 12lbs and although ideal now is to wait until 6 months I found Tom was getting grumpy and looking for more at about 18wks so have started. He loves rice, fruitapura and fruit custard but also tried parsnip and nans trifle !!!
  • thank fo reply i started joseph on baby rice a couple week ago now and he was fine he has been having a few spoons at lunchtime every day i havent increased it yet but i have given him some banana custard just and he loves it he screams when there is none left but i dont want to give him too much too soon! how can it be changed from 12lb 12 weeks to 6 months? joseph is over 14lb now.my hv not greatly impressed either. yeah he been on hungry baby milk since he was 6 weeks old! do you give him the food after or before milk? xx