Forum home Babies Baby

breastfeeding

i started off with breastfeeding but it got too sore and was makin me dread cassie wakin up so wen i got outa hospital i tried her with a bottle and it works far better for both me and her, now she only wakes up twice in the night instead of constantly wantin fed, all the midwives etc seem 2 think that i shud breast feed again tho but i really dont want 2. is any1 else bottle feeding?? theyr startin 2 make me feel bad about it lol. plus if u start with breastfeeding (only for 3 days) then stop do u have 2 express the milk or does it just deal with itself??:\?

Replies

• Hi Laura,
    I couldn't breastfeed my first child and he was bottle fed. You MUST do what works for you and your baby and the midwives should not make you feel guilty. My advice would to be ignore them, as long as you and your baby are happy thats all that matters.
    Your milk will dry up, don't express as that will stimulate your breasts to make more milk. Your breasts will feel uncomfortable but persevere and the discomfort will go away.
    Hope that helps
    Sara.x
  • i breast fed for 3 weeks with my lo but she was to lazy and wouldnt feed had the same problems when i went onto bottles but at least i could see how much she was having then so there was less of a worry. dont let anyone bully you you do what is right for yourself they are there to promote breastfeeding not to force it on us. xx
  • thanx! the midwife ses if u dont express it u get mastitous or sumthin i duno theyr all sayin different things then i just end up playin along with them and breastfeedin her 4 them even tho i really dont want 2 but i think il have 2 just say no and stick 2 it coz i actually was beginnin 2 live in fear of her wantin fed lol then that was makin me feel even worse!
  • hey laura, if bottle feeding works for you and thats what you want to do then you should, the midwifes should be supporting you not making you feel bad!! b/f babies do tend to feed more often and mine didn't start sleeping through til i put them on formula. there is nothing wrong with formula, not all people can or want to b/f x.
    good luck with your l/o and dont listen to the midwifes/ hv x.
  • hi laura, dont let the midwives make you feel bad, if you are happy with the decision you have made then you should stick to it, it is your baby and your body! I wouldnt express as if you do then your body will just start making more, it may be uncomfortable for a few days but it will just dry up on its own. Hayley x
  • thanx every1!! the community midwife came 2day and she was a nicer 1 this time so i am now officially bottle feeding lol such a relief!
  • awwww, laura she's gorgeous x.
    how old is she now? what's her name?
  • i think its wrong that the mw were makin u feel guilty for switchin to bottle!
    i bf for 11m and it was hard to begin with but had i chosen to change to bottle i wld have expected support not guilt. the most important thing is that u and lo r happy. xx
  • shes 4 days old, was born on sunday after a 20hour labour lol, her names cassie x
  • hi
    i breastfeed at daytime and bottlefeed at night.brandon is doing well with both and we get more sleep at night.
    midwife said it is ok to do both we it is better for us .
    i didnt had sleep for the first few days (just breastfeeding)and hubby was fed up so he made a bottle and he slept longer.
    but as long you and baby are happy you can feed how you want!!

xxxx
  • hi i breast feed my first for about 4 days and gave up as it hurt to much and she was bottle fed, my 2nd is a wk old today and im breast feeding him at the mo but its begining to get painful and its increasing my blood loss, my mw said i should stick at the breast but im thinking of putting him on the bottle as i think it wud b better 4 us both but i have to convince my hubby that to, but i think u should do what ever u think is best 4 u and yr baby. ur milk should just dry up itself as long as u dont express any, yr boobs will b sore 4 a few days but it will improve. gd luck hun x
  • thanx every1!! xx