Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

1st birthday party bag alternatives....?

(Also in BIS)
On the subject of 1st birthdays....we've decided to have a bit of a do at home for Isla with friends with babies and our family but on doing the list it is still coming out at around 50+ people (21 kids!)

The children range from 4 months to 8yrs old so Im a bit stuck as to whether to bother with party bags?
I know its traditional to give something to the kiddies but money is tight so I dont really want to shell out loads for party bags some of the kids just wont appreciate.
Sooo does anyone have any ideas on how I could cut costs but still give them a little token, my best friend gave out cupcakes (shop bought but iced at home) with the babies names on which I thought was cute but obviously I cant steal her idea now lol!
Any tips welcome!
xx

Replies

• Shame you mentioned cupcakes as I have a similar idea stolen from another mum I know.
    She gives each child a cupcake to decorate with a selection of things on a table and they can then take that home - gives them entertainment time at the party and something to take home/eat. Obviously it'll only work with the older kids, but might be an idea?
    Other than that I haven't given it any thought but will let you know if I get any sparks of inspiration...that'll be a no then!
    xxx
  • Make the favors at home. This is a great way to save money on party expenses. Make play dough; kids love modeling clay and making it at home is really inexpensive. Instead of cupcakes, you can make cookies and individually wrap them to add some festive touch.

• For my daughter i bought a load of picture books from the book people or the works. Ten books for ten pounds so worked out at 1 pound per child. I put a sticker inside each book saying "thank you for coming to my party, love ...." I put a table out at the end of the party with a sign saying please choose a book to take home. Loads of parents said what a great idea and a nice change from sweets and rubbish. X
  • For older kids i bought the books aimed at older ones so there was a whole range to choose from. Have a lovely party. X