Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Banning smoking in cars to protect children

2»

Replies

• Yes - a 3 point on your licence and ??100 fine might be a deterrent for some but it might make others more dangerous, as I said before, not only are they smoking in their car, but they are also using what little concentration they have watching for the police car that might catch them.

I still see LOTS of people on mobile phones while driving, only now I watch them have so many more near misses (I live on quite a busy main road) as they are concentrating on their phone call, as well as who is watching them so they dont get caught.

People make a choice, and while we dont agree with it, we shouldnt force anyone not to because they will rebel against it...this country is fab for 'banning' everything but it just doesnt work
  • i would prefer a total ban on smoking, everyone knows how dangerous it is, i cant tell you how horrible it is nursing someone in their last moments due to a smoking related disease, its a horrible way to go. i know this will never happen though as our goverment would loose too much money from the tax on it!

i see nearly everyday people smoking whilst pushing their baby in a pram, i really feel for the poor infant who has no choice, i know how it makes my throat feel being near a smoker so i dread to think what a baby must feel!!

lets face it, they would never be able to enforce a ban as the people who smoke near their children will contiue to do so weather in a car or not, i think its quite sad that they do it but thats the society we live in today,

what i really hate is going out with LO for fresh air to have a smoking asault corse to navigate, honestly i might as well be smoking over the pram the amount of people who puff away in the street, i would like all pedestriaised areas to be non smoking, as well as all doorways, do these people not realise non smokers and children have to walk through them!!

• just picking up on something piggypos said,

"the people who smoke near their children will contiue to do so weather in a car or not"

i completely agree, the 'sort' of parent who thinks its fine to smoke in a confined space with their child bretahing it in, is likely to be someone who will take absolutely no notice of a car ban, they wld simply keep an eye out, or instead of holding in their hand constantly leave it int he ashtray bit between drags, then if a police car came by and it was in thier hand they wld quickly try to conceal (potentially far more dangerous). anyone who thinks its acceptanle behaviour to smoke in ur childs face will take no notice what so ever of any type of ban on smoking, as its obviously more important (it is an addiction as i pointed out) than anything else, and if it gets priority over their chiklds health then i'm sure it'll get priority over their driving liscence.
  • Even if it stops just 100 people a year, why not do it?

I have 3 points for talking on my mobile and dont do it at all now, I have a handsfree. It does make you think twice.

Yes you always get idiots that will try hide it etc

Should there not be seatbelt laws then as you could say 'when people see the police they just pull the belt accross them' this could be more dangerous.

If anything, it will make people more aware.

If someone got pulled twice for smoking in the car and 6 points on thier license it would make them think twice I am sure of it.

It doesnt need to be actively policed but will be nice to have there as an option if needed. It will also give the police reason to stop that car and potentially find other activity going on, such as the 'drug drivers' who hide thier driving and smoking pot at the same time as it looks like a cigerette.
  • just picking up on people saying that educating people doesnt work. I disagree, I am a teacher and educate children about the risks of all of these things and they do research homework on the gruesome facts. Last year from the homework done at home there were 5 families where the parents made a pact with the children that they would quit as the children were so disgusted. Even if the parents didn't actually quit they no longer did it around the kids some children were coming in saying "i caught mum out cos I could smell it on her clothes.
    I do hate smoking but still don'tthink it could be inforced they really struggle with mobile phones whilst driving never mind drink driving. I see people everyday on the phone whilst driving. I agree it is not safe because of only having 1 hand free.
    I think there would be better things to spend taxpayers money on to stop smoking during these hard financial times.
    Maybe they should limit places to buy cigarettes - e.g. certain shops which would reduce the opportunity to smoke. Selling them in petrol stations kind of says it is ok to smoke whilst driving.
  • agree with alfie and oskars mummy, perhaps if u cld only by them in off-liscences and tabacconists rather than supermarkets and petrol stations less people wld buy them, or buy them less often as they wld have to go out of their way to get some, especially the point about petrol stations it does imply its ok to smoke and drive, but not sure if i'm getting confused here or just imagined it but i swear i heard once that ur not supposed to eat or drink whilst driving either due to the one handed thing, but u often see people eating and drinking (especially whne there is drive thrus.) and i've never seen anyone stopped for that, and if i am confused and there isn't a law aboyut eatibnga and drinking then they can't evry well ban phones and smoking whilst driving but say its ok to eat and drink, they wld have to do the whole caboodle.
  • Slightly OT but has anyone heard this radio ad about stopping driving while using a mobile

*phone rings* "Hello?" "Hello Michael, this is Death"
    ....goes on and on....it's quite hard hitting . I think they should ban smoking in cars. But also spend the money on education too. My friend smokes and so does her oh, they have 2 kids, but they never smoke in the house or car and to go in their house you would never in a million years think they smoked ....... so it IS possible to smoke and for it not to effect your kids x