Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help please! Bottles and water... stupid question?

Hi ladies

I'm a first time mum, so totally new to this. After exclusively breast feeding my lo for 9 weeks, today I have moved him onto bottles and formula. (I'm expressing a little when I need to so my boobs don't burst - but I'm not giving Ethan what I've expressed).

QUESTION: do I need to give Ethan cooled boiled water to drink between feeds or not? None of my books seem to give me a definitive answer. The nearest I've come to an answer is that you do this if your lo is dehydrated. What do you all do?

Floopy & Ethan

Replies

• My HV told me to offer my Lo water every hour once I started bottle feeding, especially in this warm weather. It's wierd having to remember as they used to get their thirst quenched whilst breastfeeding!!
  • At this age you lo should get all his liquid requirements from formula/bf. You only really need to give cooled boiled water at this age of your lo is constipated, i.e. his poo's are hard and he/she has trouble passing them.
    I only gave Morgana water at those times, but she only ever was constipated once (though I would have given her some if it were very hot).

[Modified by: Morighan on July 29, 2008 09:43 PM]

• I do give my baby water - Usually every other day or so, but when its hot, then between every feed. I think it's good to get them used to water as Gabe is fine with it and can drink 4 oz of water easily now whereas before he didnt like it xx
  • You dont have to give them water but if its particularily hot then its not a bad idea. Also it helps them get used to the taste so that once they do start to need it you wont need to offer juice as they'll take water.
  • Thanks for all your really quick replies ladies. I knew you all would help! :\)

Floopy & Ethan