Forum home› Babies› Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Would you???

2»

Replies

• Options
    Yes to the sandpit, i don't see what's wrong with that? Yes to the crawling around the park.. my dd use to love doing this before she could walk as long as they are supervised then what's it matter, i think its nice to let them explore, its exciting for them, as for the drain well no i wouldn't x
  • Options
    Peter was 8 months old in November last year, so it is a bit of moot point, but he did crawl for most of this summer and I let him crawl around in various playgrounds. He was beyond the 'hand straight in mouth' stage by then and none of the playgrounds we use let dogs in. I did keep an eye on him at all times, however, as there is occasionally broken glass or fag ends which I pounced on and removed.

I also let him use the sandpits at various parks and have done from about a bit over a year old (again, the weather had a lot to do with the timing). He loves playing in sand and is getting very good at washing his hands after we have been out and before meals.

Like everyone else, I would draw a line at the drain. He does try to get at the drain in the changing room when we go swimming (it is a bit like a bathtub drain) but we are working on distracting him from that.
  • Options
    obviously not the drain but i take Toby to the park every day to have a crawl - i check for dog poo and glass and off he goes! Sand would def watch it would need to be well maintained with a cover.

• Options
    i wasn't accusing you dollywotsit just queried the statement made about you

[Modified by: moonbean on September 17, 2010 07:39 PM]

• Options
    Yes, Joseph often used to crawl around the park before he could walk and loves the sandpit. I don't really understand how you can take a baby to the park and not let them move around!!!! Well not my son, anyway, he was never one for staying in his buggy/my arms for long! I think fresh air and exercise is much more important than grubby hands which can always be washed! Planning to get him a puddlesuit and wellies for the winter!image (no to the drain though)
  • Options
    Let your 8 month old baby...

Play in the sandpit in the park?
    my youngest is a year old and if the sandpit is own by myself yes i would let her play at 8 month but not if it was in a park or playgroup.
    Crawl all over the park on the ground?
    NO, NO, NO, all them germs, people walking though the park, dog being walked though there no doubt.
    Play near a drain in the park?
    again NO lol.
    Just interested in opinions.
  • Options
    Well i have 2 dogs who obviously walk all around the house as does my dd and she has never been ill (only when teething) so i actually think she has an amazing immune system because of the dogs germs lol xx
  • Options
    mrsnoname its actually fact that people who own animals have a better immune system!!! we have dogs too xx
  • Options
    Oooooooh! It must be true, so many of my friends little ones are always getting these viral? infections and are in and out of hospital so various things but luckily dd has always been really healthy (touch wood). Shes an awful teether though she really makes a song and dance out of that lol xx
  • Options
    do you ever watch Kim and Aggie?? You know when they go round the house and test for all the germs and bacteria, if you listen to what they say the house is not a danger to those that live it in (generally) its people who are visiting it as the visitors aren't used to the filth and their immune systems cant handle it where as those who live there are filthy beggars but they can hack it!!! lol still think i'd rather do a bit of cleaning mind!!!
  • Options
    For me it would depend on the park - I like to use common sense, rather than make hard and fast rules to apply to any situation.

Obviously if there was poo, broken glass (or whatever) on the ground then I wouldn't let a baby (of any age) play there, but assuming that it was reasonably clean and clear of rubbish (I am not talking sterile here - just so that it looks clean - I don't expect the local council to be going over their parks with dettol!) then I wouldn't have a problem with a baby playing there.

I don't think I would ever let Abby play with a drain though, although I am suprised that there was an open-able drain in a children's play park.