Let your 8 month old baby...

Play in the sandpit in the park?

Crawl all over the park on the ground?

Play near a drain in the park?

Just interested in opinions.

Replies

• erm..... NO to all! why do you ask?
  • Not wanting to start a debate huh...?

Yes to playing in the sand but closely supervised. Probably yes to crawling round as long as he was in hard wearing clothes and again closely supervised. No to the drain...regardless of where. Not even from a hygiene perspective really but from the fact he could trap hand/foot etc in the grate. Plus they can be prett minging!!!
  • My dd is 7 months so a little bit younger. I'm not sure about the sandpit, if it was uncovered i don't think i would as cats and other animals could be doing their business in it! Although i would let her play in the sand on a beach! :lol:

I also don't think i would let my dd crawl on the ground of a park, who knows what's on the ground. I am all for building an immune system but that is going a bit far! I won't even let her crawl in our kitchen as we have the cat's litter tray in there and i don't like the idea of her getting litter on her hands. And no, i wouldn't let her near a drain!

Lx

• Nope I wouldnt!
  • Id let her crawl on the ground with v carful supervision just incase she heads towards anything mucky, and then wash her up afterwards! I didnt used to let her do this sort of stuff, but now she is so mobile (10.5m) its hard on her to be held all the time. I figure that as long as she's washed up well, there is not too much harm.
    Em x
  • yes to sand if i was with them but no to the others why?
  • no i wouldnt. my mum lets dd2 (who is 8 months) play and crawl round where ever but not near drains! but i dont because i am a control freak,lol and i dont like the tiniest bit of dirt! and sand just gets everywhere. I do take my children to the beach and tray not to so controlling and we have "messy days" where we go out in our wellies and rain coats and then i dont mind where either of the girls climb/crawl or anything (again not near drains or danger tho) x
  • I was with a mum yesterday who let their baby do all the above. I sat with mine in the sandpit for 5 minutes and watched him like a hawk, I started to think about all the potential poo from all the potential animals in it and took him out. The other mum made me feel I was over-protective. I worry sometimes that I am but in this instance I felt I was right, at least for me!!!! I was just curious about your responses. To me an 8 month old goes on the swings , gently and held in and that's about it!!! Now I'm worrying could LO have picked something up in the sandpit?!! He had a great time though and had sand in his nappy when we got home, god knows how!
  • i wouldnt and im not overprotective lol its horrible how many kids and animals share the sand pit, i walked by our park one night and there was a rat running around in it!! Its the 'nicest' park in the town as well!
    There is letting them experience germs then there is letting them catch god knows what lol just my opinion
    xx
  • yes to the sand and the ground but no to the drain obviously i would closley supervise them
  • Yes to the sandpit and crawling on the ground, but I'd definately avoid the drain. Of course as so young they would be closely supervised anyway and i'd always clean her hands after as well.
  • I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick but why don't people let there people play on the ground in a park. By this I'm assuming sitting on grass and/or crawling around. If my DS was supervised so that he couldn't eat the grass or go near anything dodgy, what could be a problem? Is this anything different to letting them sit on the grass in your own garden? I don't want to start a fight but you girls have me a bit worried now and I'd love to know your reasons, thanks xx
  • i let my monkey sit and play on grass but all our parks are like concrete and mucky with little stones.
    I just dont like sand pits that are open for everything to have been in. And drains should be a no go area for obvious reasons.
    Everyone has different standards for doing things, i got told off for putting my boy down on the floor in a pub for a few mins yet that person let their kid run around touching the toilets lol strange
    xx
  • She's a wind-up, I'm fairly certain. Have a read of her other posts, and replies to posts.
  • You really think so PTB?? Has any one seen photos of lo's or anything like that???

In answer to the question yes to ground prob no to other 2 (deffo no to drain)
  • I have to disagree PTB, I do think she is genuine, her other posts are not all provocative at all.
  • I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick but why don't people let there people play on the ground in a park. By this I'm assuming sitting on grass and/or crawling around. If my DS was supervised so that he couldn't eat the grass or go near anything dodgy, what could be a problem? Is this anything different to letting them sit on the grass in your own garden? I don't want to start a fight but you girls have me a bit worried now and I'd love to know your reasons, thanks xx

I said that i wouldn't let my dd play on the ground in the park because most of the parks around here have got bark on the ground! I actually forgot that some parks have those rubber mats or grass. I'm still not sure i would let her play on them at this age (7 months) as her hands go straight in her mouth at every opportunity, when she is a bit older and can cruise or walk i would reconsider this but when she is crawling i would worry too much about all the sorts of stuff on the ground like fag ends, rubbish, dog (and cat) mess and anything else that i know would go straight in her mouth! Even if she was supervised i would worry she would still be able to get something! I always sit her on a mat when she is outside my house - but our grass is like a bog! lol.

I have no experience of being in that situation yet so i may change my mind - as with most things i said i would definately not do! :lol: x
  • Ha ha ha yes I'm genuine!!! I've been on this site since I was pregnant! I would never post pics of my baby because I don't want to post pics of my baby on the internet for obvious reasons. Also what is so controversial about my thread? If I wanted to cause a rumpus I'd do a bit better than a sandpit and a drain :roll: Oh dear I think some mums have gone a bit trollhappy!!!!! Please look at my other posts.
  • hmmm tough one for me, a lot of factors would go into this. if the park was in a section completely off guards to dogs etc yes to grass crawling, possibly yes to sandpit and defo no to drain, but not just for hygiene reasons, for fear of trapped limbs. x
  • Yes to playing in the sandpit and to crawling around, but that is because our park across the road is very quiet and it is always clean! (theres an age limit on it too) the ground vover at the park is grass with the massive rubber mats around the play area, and all of the play area is spotless! if we were at another park which wasnt well cared for then i would think again about letting lo do those things. Its a def no no to the drain of course! xx