Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

gluten free diet- help plz. :\?

hi, does any1 have any ideas what i can cook for lolah as she has to have a gluten free diet- think shes getting bored of lentils.
also things like baby biscuits ive noticed all have gluten in and i wanted to get her started on fingerfood, but unsure of what to offer her.

thanx in advance- a very confuffled michelle. xxx

:\?

Replies

• Options
    Sorry can't really help myself.

Has your hv referred you to see a nutritionist? I thought they did if your lo had to have a special diet or was allergic/intolerant to certain foods? Worth asking. Otherwise there are plenty of books out there I'm sure that can help you....and also other mums on here will help you (unlike me)!! xx
  • Options
    well shes seen the consultant twice- once in jan and then again last monday but he didnt really give me any ideas of what to give her- he jus said keep her off of gluten- they havnt actually tested her as he said they dont like doin it at her age (nearly 8mths) so we have to go bk and c him in august, whether he will decide to test then im not sure. my hv is rubbish. but may take her to a different weigh in clinic in the area to c if they r any better. xxx
  • Options
    isnt queen bee's lil girl gluten intollerant??? or am i gettin mixed up?? she might b able to help :/)
  • Options
    No idea about the diet but rusks are gluten free and great as a first finger food x
  • Options
    Gluten is part of the wheat grain. You can get special bread and pasta replacements but not sure how suitable for babes. If she can have the bread speak to your gp as she can have it on perscription along with gf flours so you can always make your own gf bread and cakes.

Rice is fine, as are potatoes for her carbohydrates. Watch out for stock cubes as many contain gluten.

I'd recommend that you talk to the celiac socirty (celiac's the official name for being gluten intolerant). Their website is http://www.coeliac.org.uk/ and they do have a helpline. I would contact them for help if the medics and hv's are being crap. They should at least be able to tell you what to ask for.

It is easy to manage with planning as they get older. my mil and bil are oth sufferers and it's pretty easy to cook meals for them. There are lots of products available to help with getting a balanced diet, but I would get advice on how to balance her diet to ensure you don't store any problems for the future.

The only real way to test is to have an endoscopy and a biopsy taken to diagnose officially so I'd delay that while you can. It can also be a condition where the severity changes over a long time.

Don't worry, and speak to the celiac society as they will be able to help further.
    xx