Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Spaced Soothing

Has anyone tried this and how did you get on?
Its working well for Connor for naps but at night he gets upset image
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    What is it?
  • Options
    Its a method by Jo Tantum who did a webchat on here this week -
    Jo Tantum: Ok, I'll just go through Spaced Soothing again to get it spot on for you.
    When baby first cries you go in and soothe with stroking nose and shushing for max 1 minute.
    Next time baby cries increase the time you wait until you next go in by 1 minute - so
    in this case you wait 2 minutes, next time 3 minutes, then 4 minutes and finally
    wait for periods of 5 minutes maximum. If baby is getting upset at any time during
    the long 5 minute interval, you can always decrease it to 3 minutes, for example.
    Just listen to your baby's cries.
    The number of times you have to go in will decrease every night.
    The first night may be 15 times, but then the next 10, and so on until after 7 days
    the baby should cry out by herself.
    xxxx
  • Options
    I read this and wondered if it would work for my lo to cure his early morning waking. But I don't understand, if he doesn't stop crying during my 1min of soothing and shushing, do I still walk out and leave him crying for 1/2/3/mins then repeat until he stops ? I like the idea as PUPD won't work for us as it's too active and wakes him up too much. But this method just sounds a bit like CC to me ? S x
  • Options

just attempting this for the 1st time, I'm unsure about when to leave the room as 1min isn't long enough to calm him down?