Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

different meals

does anyone else find that they seem to give their lo the same stuff over and over?

Issy has pretty much the same veg but matched differently, usually with either chicken or fish (we are not big meat eaters), and pasta (got the Ragu sauce for kids which is good, and not as ?????? as Annabelle karmel in boots).

her evening meal is slightly better, as she tends to eat like us, but i only have a sandwich at lunch......

all tips greatfully received, and thanks in advance.!!!! :\)

Replies

• Hiya

How old is Issy?

My son, Joseph is nearly 8 months and I do things like Jacket potato with beans and cheese, scrambled eggs and spagetti hoops, veg mashed with dairlyee. Im always scouring the shelves in Asda to try and find new things for him. Have you seen the Heinz cook at home range? they do sauces for veg and they have gravy and stock too.... im making a veg soup for tea tonight with the veg stock.

Il keep an eye on this post because I would love some ideas too!
  • hi helen

i use the heinz sauces too - i think they stink mind, but Issy does like them! they have added new ones too - curry!!!

she is just 10 months old - i havent given beans and spag hoops yet - are they not too salty?

you wouldnt believe she is my third would you!!!

my first only had jars - i spent a whole day in the kitchen, cooking then freezing, and in the end binned it all as -with hindsight- it was too dry and he gagged - i thought he didnt like, and my confidence went!

my second.......well, he's 4 today, and i just cannot remember what i used to give him! he ate anything, but what was it!?!

she has a lot of jackets - cheese, tuna etc - maybe she does ok, and i just think it's boring!:roll:
  • Hiya,

Im no cook (as my husband will tell you!) but I love cooking for Joseph and he will eat anything!! im yet to find anything he doesnt like!

Joseph has had the curry and rice! iv also made chicken pasta bakes with the tomato and basil sauce and yesterday I made spag bol!

Im trying the sweet and sour sauce for tea tomorrow with chicken and rice.

I buy the beans and spag hoops that say 'low in salt and sugar' He only gets them about once a week - nornally if iv forgotton to defrost something!

Have you tried cous cous?? thats something different, you can add peppers and things to make it taste more interesting...

by the sounds of it our babies get quite varied diets, Joseph eats better than me! I just make sure that he doesnt get the same thing without a space of a couple of days between.

Hope your son had a good birthday, have you had a party?
  • Hi ya,

Joshua is 14 months old but when he was Issy's age we would give him pretty much what we ate but would take out a portion before we added salt or wine to our food, most of the recipies i got from Annabel Karmel:

Cottage pie
    Pasta blognaise
    Jacket potato with chees and/or beans, tinned tuna, fresh salmon
    Sweet jacket potato with cheese
    Roast chicken/beef
    Vegetable soup (great to make a big batch and freeze)
    Sandwhichs at lunch with cheese, dairylea, chicken breast or tuna

I used to give Joshua jars as well, and if were out or hes being fussy I still keep some hipp organic jars for 15 months+ in the cupboard!

He snacks on boots organic rice cakes or anything from the organix range xxx
  • the more i read on here about babies eating i worry... finlay will be 8 months on 6th august and he only eats... at a push stage one jars even them he finds to thick, muller little stars, fruit pots, toasted soiler with cheese triangle on, organix crisp things.

ive tried making my own purees etc... bought all the gear but wont touch them, tried, all types of jars but at the mo we've finally had a week of eating half a hipp organic stage 1 jar!

everyday i offer things im eating - beans, spagetti hoops, toast with things on, pasta sauces, pizza crust to suck, potatoe, pasta, bananna, pear, peach, cheese.....the list goes on but he just sucks a bit of something then screams and spits it out - if a lump however small is in his mouth he gags and retches till nearly sick and then gets it up!!

cant believe your lo's eat all that - how on earth do you do it?|?

xx
  • ARHHH!!!!!

Iv just typed a really long post and it disappeared!!

Star11 - Joseph is 8 months on the 6th of August too

I dont really know what to say as we havent really had any problems with food, I weaned him at 16 weeks as he was always hungry and wanting a bottle every 2.5hours but would only take 4 or 5oz's.

Now we have a 6oz bottle at 7am
    Weetabix and a fruit pot at 9.30am
    Lunch - normally veg or a jar if we are out followed by a petit filous at 12.30pm
    6oz bottle at 3.30pm
    Tea - normally sheperds pie or spag bol etc followed by a petit filous at 5.30pm
    6oz bottle at 7pm before bed

Did your lo take to baby rice ok? maybe go back to basics and try again? does he enjoy his bottles? Could he be a bit overwhelmed with the choice of food and the different textures?

I give Joseph a jar from the plum range if we are out and about and he loves them, they have some strange concoctions but its worth a go.. the 4+ months range are very smooth and quite runny, more so than the hipp jars, the stage 2 doesnt really have any lumps in either its just thicker. Perhaps you could try adding a bit of milk to his food to make it thinner and he will be more familiar with the taste? Does he like any of the baby cereals?? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to think of ways to help you
  • Totally agree with Helen. Joshua never had any probs either and would eat alllllllllllllllll day if I let him but it is quite difficult trying to get the variety of food into them. Joshua doesnt like to touch fuit so i stll puree that or give him a fruit pot just to make sure he gets some fruit...im gradually increasing the consistency of fruit but he wont take it, its weird cos he eats all veg in whole pieces and will pick them up as well but not fruit the lil monkey! x