Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

porridge

can u give adult porridge to a 5 1/2 month old? am fed up of buyin baby porridge cos nit quite expensive and only lasts a few days.

also, which one would u reccomend?? xxx

Replies

• Options
    I don't know which one to recommend but I would say be careful of the salt content in adult porridge (and maybe sugar?)
    I know I'm sounding like a paranoid mum but there is so much hidden crap in adult cereals - even the "healthy" ones!
  • Options
    I gave Tom porridge from 6 months made with cows milk and never bought the baby stuff. I guess checking the label for salt is a good idea but most oats don't have any.
  • Options
    I used to give my son the Sainsburys/Tescos version of Ready Brek, which he still loves now (and he's 7).
  • Options
    I use Tescos or asdas version of ready brek, its so much cheaper and lasts a hell of alot longer then them tiny baby porridge boxes! Think i started him on them at about 6 months, hes now 8 months x
  • Options
    My Lo has had porridge since she was weaned at 6mnths.
    Just buy the plain old porridge oats-there's no added nasties!
  • Options
    we have the tesco's own porridge! in the orange box! brooke loves it i sometimes put raisins of mash banana in it or a bit of jam! naughty mummy! x
  • Options
    I give my boy Jordans or Quaker Oats, does not have everyday alternate with Weetabix or Ready Brek and I mixed it with organic Apricots and blend. Do a few pots at a time, and this can be frozen, (annabel karmel recipe). Just watch salt as some own brands can have a lot more.
  • Options
    the baby stuff is better cuz alot of adults porridge has high salt n sugar as others have said x