Forum home Babies Baby

warming bottles up?

to warm my lo milk up, i boil the kettle and let bottle stand in a jug, when my friend saw me do this she said "wouldent it be much easyer to warm it in the microwave, i do for my babys bottles"

i always thougtht you couldent do that? does anyone know if you can or if not why? thanks xx

Replies

• you can heat them in microwave but I never have I use a bottle warmer.

You just have to be very careful with micrawaves as you can get hot spots which could burn babies mouth
  • I do what you do. I actually find it quicker than doing it in the microwave.
    I have been known to do it before though, like at night. I think as long as you shake the bottle really well it's OK. I remember my stepmum doing it for all my little brothers bottles.
  • i've always done both the kids milk in microwave, it's so much quicker. you do have to be careful there's no hot spots so shake the bottle really well and then test the heat. i usually add the formula after i've heated the water that way if it's too hot i can pour some out and add some cold previously boiled water from kettle. i find that for a 5oz feed 20 seconds is just right.
  • Sometimes I use the microwave and find as long as you shake it really well then its fine.
    When Im out and about I add boiling water to cooled boiled ater eg for a 7ozs bottle I use 5oz cold and top up with 2ozs boiling and that tend to be the right temp for Holly.
  • I do what you do as well and have never used the Microwave. I am doing this since Kara was born and she is 1 next month. I find it quick enough.
  • ive never used the microwave incase of hotspots, i find it easy enough doing it the way you do xx
  • I used to make the days bottles up in advance, refridgerate them and then use the microwave to heat them when needed. I made sure I shook the bottle really well and tested it at least 3 times before giving it to Lo... Then the microwave blew up!!
    I started doing the same as you Hollysmummy which meant I could make the bottles fresh at each feed and all I could think was.. Why didn't I think of doing this in the first place!? Tips like that could have saved me many a night of worrying about milk going off/being too hot!
  • they say not to use microwaves as it heats the milk from the middle outwards causing the hotspots and some parents werent shaking the bottle before giving it to baby therefore resuting in burning babys mouth...

I microwave phoebes bottles and give them a good vigerous shake for about a minute so I know that the milk is fully mixed up.... bit of a long shake I know but best to be safe than sorry....

At nigtime for night feeds I used a bottle warmer... it was easy to warm the water up and have it hot throughout the night then when she was ready I turned it up and then heated bottle then by the time the nappy was changed the bottle was ready....

but then saying that my HV is really good about microwave heating.. I went to baby clinic a few weeks ago and asked for some hotwater and she looked at me shocked and said dont u use a microwave... lol.. I sid yes but thought better not ask in front of oyu and she laughed... think she was shocked as she knows I am not one for follwing the guidelines.... I go by what baby wants not what the guidelines say to do....

just do what you feel safe with... once u have done it a few times you will get to know what time is best to nuc it for x x x x
  • hi i started off using kettle etc, but now just use microwave and shake it afterwards to even out the heat, just 30secs, just enought o take the chill off it.

it works the same way as when you heat food and then have to mix it to even out heat.

more recently we just make up the waters and add the powder in when needed, so much simpler...did this with my first too and never did her any harm x