Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

rant - bl**dy quavers and pasties!

Replies

• Options
    cold tea?????

Even i dont like cold tea........ its got to be nice and hot...

dont think I'll understand that one...

xxx
  • Options
    Have you never seen that? God it's disgusting, usually what chavs give their kids. Maybe it's a northern thing along with gold plated dummies on chains round their necks! :roll:
  • Options
    Well i have three children aged 5, 2 and 1 and one on the way.

With our first we had the best intentions ever but it is so hard with subsequent children. if they see their big sister/brother eating a lovely chocolately snack then they want one too!

Therefore, the 'junk' food inevitably started much sooner with my youngest two and it probably will with the next one.

I don't mind though-nothing wrong with a treat in my eyes. Mine have their fair share of junk food but also have a healthy appetite for the good stuff too.
    In fact, they're pretty perfect IMO!! And to be honest they see fruit as a treat too so are just happy to get something to eat LOL
    They would never turn down a piece of fruit or a bag of crisps so i'm happy to indulge them to keep them quiet in the supermarket!
  • Options
    Have you never seen that? God it's disgusting, usually what chavs give their kids. Maybe it's a northern thing along with gold plated dummies on chains round their necks! :roll:

Oi missus! :lol:

I'm a northerner... and i resent that remark image:lol:
    (i am joking)

I've never seen cold tea in a bottle.... Hmm.... dont think Ollie will be having that anytime soon... image

xxxxx
  • Options
    Hey I'm a northerner too and I've never seen anyone give a bottle of cold tea! I have given Lily a sip of my cuppa and she likes it but wouldn't give her a bottle, esp not cold that's yukky!

LOL at gold plated dummies, where can I get a couple for my girls?! They would look well cool with those and their their addidas trakkies on and their baby trainers haha! (No I don't really dress my babies like that, my mum would disown me!)

xxx
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol: @ lea!

You don't see it very often now thankfully. I

have another one.........when Daniel was in Reception class there was a little boy there who had a can of Red Bull in his packed lunch everyday. Imagine trying to get him to sit down and eat his tea or go to sleep at night! :roll:
  • Options
    I don't think they do Greggs past....oooh, about Rotherham! It's a bit like us with our lack of Waitrose's up here. TBH you're not missing much.

I think tea has some cancer fighting and blood pressure lowering properties so might be good for some people but I don't think babies need it especially when the tannin in it stops their bodies from absorbing iron properly.

I personally don't like tea (or coffee) full stop. It's just not my cup of tea :lol:
  • Options
    :roll: Don't get up, I'll see myself out!
  • Options
    is anyone from liverpool and know "sayers" ??

sooooo much better than Greggs! image

xx
  • Options
    I've heard of them but they're not a patch on Thomas the Bakers. Or Ainsley's! ;\)
  • Options
    another northern lass here - you others need to take a trip to Oldham where you can see lots of kids with cold tea in bottles! some with juice too!
  • Options
    What is cold tea? I do let my older daughters have camomile tea when they are sick, is that a bad thing, my mum always gave it to us when we were poorly.

I think my pet peev is carbonated beverages in baby bottles, I don't like the idea of Coca Cola being fed to babies. I know two families personally who do this and I do bite my lip and say not as I know we need to raise our kids our own way but one mum who attends a playgroup with my girls and I gives CocaCola to her 6 month old and has for months, this little girl will chug back an 8onz bottle of the stuff, that's really hard on a babies kidneys!

• Options
    oh no! not sure i like that either!

do her little ones sleep?!!
  • Options
    tea in bottles?? crazy lol! but juice in bottles, theres another thing which gets on my whick. in a beaker fair enough, but a bottle just concentrates the sugar and is really bad for their teeth. especially the kids who are quite clearly old enough to hold a beaker or cup of some sort.

and in response to somebodies question basically asking why i give a hoot what other people do with their kids.... the answer i guess is because i generally think you CAN tell by looking for a few minutes what sort of lifestyle some people have, and when it's predominantly charvas you see with the quavers/pasties glued to their kids hands you can almost garantee it's not just a "treat" and that thats unfortunately probably a reflection of their general diet.

it makes me quite sad! i'm in newcastle and again unfortunately it's usually the same kids who have grubby snotty faces and pasty all over their pushchair! lol
  • Options
    Ok cold tea is rank in bottles but I had warm tea in a bottle, all my sisters and nephews and niece have and I plan on giving it Evan but I will get rid of it once it gets cold, there may not be any nutritonal value but so what there is prob more in that with all the milk than a lot of other foods and i'd rather give him tea. - it will be obviously when he is bigger and will be in a cup/beaker thing.

And yes I am originally from up north and have tea in my veins lol

Who would of thought this thread would cause such a debate!!!! each to their own, the only thing I will say is have you seen the sausage rolls from Greggs the meat is like bright pink lol

[Modified by: Louise+Evan on September 11, 2008 06:53 PM]

• Options
    for lindsay and henry greggs are a bit further north than us it would be our equivelant of a bakers oven. I must admit Isaac does have the odd packet of quavers and he has had a sausage roll from the bakers on odd occasions, I cant remember when my oldest started having things like that but Isaac sees the older ones with something and he wants it, the rest of the time we have plenty of healthy foods and we always eat a home cooked dinner at the table as a family so I dont think it hurts once in a while but each to there own. x
  • Options
    My OH cousin gives her boy tea in a bottle...he's 5!!! Not good
  • Options
    Yeah my cousin gives her 2 year old tea in a bottle then wonders why he wont sleep and pees all the time! Lol. He has it all day though, no juice or water, just tea.

xxx
  • Options
    I'll have no qualms about giving Gabe a taste of junk food - my reasoning is, if he sees it as part of a BALANCED diet and not something "naughty", he will want it less when he grows up.

I'm not a mummy yet (often read this forum to see what I'm in for) but this is my attitude too.

I like to think I'll always have a banana or rice cake handy when we're out and about, but appreciate that it might not always happen and shock horror, I may give them something of little nutritional value. I'm still with linziMc on this, though. No small child of mine is having a whole Greggs pasty, or probably even a whole bag of crisps. They can have a piece of mine/ a few from the bag that I buy and that I dish out.

Call me judgemental, but I DO notice when a small child is digging into a whole bag of whatever bag of rubbish they've been given, and I DO think, "I wouldn't do it like that".

As most people have said, everything in moderation. For me this means not "only one Greggs pasty a week" but "only a modest amount of (whatever junk food) at any one time".

28+1
  • Options
    Sorry ladies - am huge fan of Greggs - Adverts!!! God that Paddy McGuinness is a sexy man!!!!