Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I need help

2»

Replies

• Options
    Hi Lawso

Sorry I only have a minute so haven't read the other replies but wanted to post - sorry if I'm repeating what others have said!!

So sorry you are struggling, I have some idea how you feel as Toby has been really difficult to wean. He was always really greedy with his milk so I assumed weaning would be a breeze but he just wasn't interested. All his toys, our clothes, our hands - anything he gets his hands on - THEY go right in his mouth, but a spoon? No way! So frustrating. I was starting to get quite stressed about it - I know all the "food is fun until one" stuff and I do agree with it but I was honestly thinking he was going to get to 1 and still not know how to eat solids!!

Everything has changed in the last couple of days though. I have switched to just finger food and it's made such a difference. I just put some stuff on his highchair tray and leave him to it - I don't feed him at all. Taking myself out of the equation has worked wonders, it's like he only wants to eat something he feeds himself. I hover obviously, but just watch surreptitiously while I do dishes, housework etc. If he pushes all the food out of his reach (or loses it over the side) he will let me know by whinging until I give him more!!

Who knows, maybe he just outgrew the disinterest in food at the same time as I changed my approach so it's coincidence rather than a miracle solution but I just wanted to share in case this is something you might want to try.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!

C image

PS - Should say that Toby is also 7 months and also that I do know he is actually ingesting food as today I found a whole lot of broccoli in his nappy! Charming image
  • Options
    He has breastmilk? Where did you get the notion that he needs 1300ml a day? The average BF baby PRIOR to weaning takes about 25oz/750ml so if he's having 500ml plus solids that sounds perfect.

BM changes to meet his needs as he grows, don't use guidelines on how much FORMULA a baby might be expected to take - that can't change or increase in calorie density so babies will drink far more as they get older.
  • Options
    CharlotteB - thanks for your post, it's nice to know others are having an equally difficult time but am pleased you seem to have reached a resolution xx

Maenad - I understand that he doesn't need 1300ml a day but that is what he was taking pre-weaning. At 4 weeks old he was on 800ml and increased week on week until he was about 12 weeks, where he settled on around 1300ml per day. I never forced this on him, it was just what he took, so while I realise 500ml is enough now, I just think that an 800ml reduction in BM has to be substituted with something.