Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Aptamil

Hi Just wondered if anyone has gone from SMA gold to Aptamil, and have you had any problems with wind/trapped wind?
My daughter is nearly 15 weeks old. She has eczema and is a very sicky baby. I took her to the GP, who suggested we change her milk from SMA to Aptamil. I first got the Aptamil easy digest, which I thought might help with sickness, and as it is thicker i got variable flow teats (she was on slow flow). We only tried it for a few days but it seemed to give her bad wind and she was still sick etc... so I've now got her on the ordinary Aptamil 1, and put her back on the slow flow teats (she was downing her bottles too quickly). She has been on this for almost 3 days now but seems to still suffer with trapped wind, which really distresses her (is much worse in eve). I wondered if it was just because we have changed her milk etc and hope it will pass as she gets more used to it. She was a bit colicy when she was younger but that seemed to pass when she got to about 11 weeks old, but i feel we have taken a backward step now!
Has anyone else experienced a similar thing? We are going to give it a couple of weeks on Aptamil to see if she gets used to it.
Sorry for the long post
Sarah x

[Modified by: LittleSa on 14 April 2008 09:17:36 ]

Replies

• hi had to say that my lo who is 7wks is now on farleys he has had very bad wind i have found this the best also Aptamil easy digest has not got something in it that others have to help the brain and eyes grow.
    tori x
  • Thanx for your replies. Katielou how long did you try the aptamil for?
  • I switched from SMA Gold to Aptimal but put my LO on stage 2 (hungry baby milk) as she was suddenly wanting so much milk. I didn't have any problems but then my LO didnt seem to suffer with colic or get sicky she did have a bit of constipation but I was also switching from BF an bottle feeding to fully bottlefeeding at the time of the switch.

My advice would be to change the milk again as usually when LO's have a bad reaction to it they usually continue having problems. A friend of mine had a sicky baby and she swears by cow and gate and has also used farleys milk. Sometimes the best way is to just give a few a try until u get one that suits ur babies tummy.

The other thing u have to look forward to is when u start weaning LO as there are so many foods to try that if ur LO has constipation or trapped wind u can usually solve the problem with a bit of fruit/vegs or if they are gettin very loose bowel movements u could add more startchy foods to the diet.
    Good luck and hope u find a milk just right for Your LO

Hannah xx
  • Hi - I use aptamil and I've always found it to be really good. My second son suffered a bit with wind but I use infacol and that seems to help,
    julesy
  • thanx for all the replies. Dare i say it but Ella seems to be settling down on the Aptamil and today didn't throw up nearly as much as she did on SMA. So, fingers crossed we will keep her on it
    xx
  • sarahandnigel thats odd that your GP would say that, i swear by infacol! stopped using it at 3month and Evie's wind got terrible, so started again and after a few days she's so content and trapped wind has gone!!