Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bicornuate uterus

Hi ladies,

My sister is 21 weeks pg & has a heart-shaped/bicornuate uterus.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

Thank you!

Ruth xx

Replies

• Hey Ruth

My Mum has this, and it meant that she had to go in quite early and be monitored for us moving into a good position and then they induced her. We never stopped turning and never engaged therefore so there was never any pressure on her cervix to start labour naturally. Her docs also said this explained why we were so big... 10lbs 4 and 11lbs 4 and my Mum is 5 foot 4 and a size 10!

Not sure if this is always the case though.

HTH

Hxx
  • Hiya hun,

Any impact can vary depending on how severe the bicornuate is, some people have a very slight 'dent' in the top of their uterus, where others have a much more defined separation of the two 'horns'.

Dd she fall pregnant naturally? xx
  • Thanks for telling me your mum's experience Renri - they are big babies for a little lady - my sister is size 8 & 5ft1" !!

Kayssis, she has endometreosis (sp?) as well. She did fall pg naturally - they thought she would need IVF but got lucky. She's read something on google that the baby only has a 60-70% chance of survival and has got herself into a right tizz.

xx
  • I have no experience but didn't want to rnr.

It's never a good idea to google! Lol poor lady mustve got so upset. Since she's past 20weeks surely she's over the hump? Maybe you should repost in infertility? I know a few ladies in there have endo and other gynae issues and they might have more experiences?

You should get your sister to join BE it may stop the googling when she has the ladies on here to talk to! X
  • Hi

I have a bicornuate uterus. I found out when I went for an early scan at the hospital. I gave birth to my daughter at 36+6 and had to have a c-section because she was breech. I don't think she had enough room to turn because of my uterus and I also think she came a little early because she was running out of room to grow. She was a little small at 4lbs 8oz but other than that everything was fine. Tell your sister to stop worrying and to stop googling! That's exactly what I did at first and worried myself silly. Lots of women with a bicornuate uterus carry their babies to full term and they are perfectly healthy.

• Hey Ruth. I *think* there was a lady in Born in Feb who had this - Goldilocks - not sure if she still posts but I remember reading her BS and all was fine with her LO x
  • Ruth

Firstly, how lovely that B will have a cousin so close in age!

A friend of a friend has this and has two children. They were both early (around 36 weeks) but totally fine.

What was she told at her scan, has she had her 20 week one yet?

Flipping Google.....we were just the same when we were pg though!

H x
  • Step away from the google. That's fab that they fell naturally, especially with the endometriosis aswell. If they had any concerns that her bicornuate would make the pregnancy so high risk they wouldve discussed it with her by now surely. It may well be that it is very slight and unlikely to have much impact on her pregnancy. Was it found at her 20week scan or before? I can't say I know much about bicornuate and pregnancy, and I would never post on here as a health care professional. But in the fertility clinic where I work we treat quite a few women with bicornuate uterus and surely we wouldn't be able to help them conceive if their pregnancy would then be so high risk xx
  • Hi,
    I also have a Bicornuate Uterus but didn't actually find this out until I went for a growth scan at around 36 weeks. My little one pretty much stayed in the same position for most of my pregnancy - I did wonder why she didn't turn at all (she was breech). After my growth scan the consultant explained about my uterus ie that it was a heart shape and it was quite defined - it had the two 'horns' that was mentioned earlier which meant there was no room for baby to turn. He checked my notes and saw that the sonographer at my first scan saw this but she didn't advise me of it at all. Apparently 1 in 1000 women have this condition. I was booked in for a c section 3 days before my due date and had a healthy girl weighing 6lbs 8oz. I had a very healthy pregnancy with no difficulties at all.
    I asked regarding any complications and he said the only one really is that women with this condition can find it harder to become pregnant - it did take me a little while.
    Hope that helps to put your sisters mind at rest.
    Wishing her a very happy and healthy pregnancy.
    Debbie
  • Hi Ruth, I too have a bicornulate uterus with quite a large divide between the two horns. Mine was picked up at my 12 week scan and the sonographer explained a lot to me in that some will stretch with the baby and other are not so stretchy and lead to baby coming early or a c section because the baby has no room to turn. I guess I must have a stretchy one as I went 11 days overdue with my daughter. Please tell you sister not to worry and many people have no problems at all .
  • Hi everyone,

Thank you all so so much for my responses - I forwarded them all onto my sister & she is feeling lots more positive.

Knew I could rely on some lovely BE ladies to give me some info!

xxxxxxx

PS Hayley, it will be lovely for Benjamin to have a cousin of the same age! xx
  • Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update the questions.

We went for an early scan today and got told that i have a slight bicornuate uterus. They didn't seem to think that it would be a problem, but will check and key and eye on me.

Does anyone have an advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi.. I have bicornuate uterus...Currently I was on 24w pg. But last week when I was did the ultrasound, the baby size was so small. It just about 18w size. Plus my placenta size is bigger than a baby size and it was placenta previa. Have anyone have this experience?