Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Mothers-in-law.love em or hate em?

Just for fun....and to give me hope that some people grow to love their MILs! Do you love or hate yours? And why?

Personally mine drives me NUTS!! She is a counsellor/social worker (not to offend anyone but it seems to me that these jobs are filled with nosey people who know best....) whenever she has my kids (including the 9 week old twins) she totally ignores my instructions and routines,for example my 3 yo is very sensitive to colours and sugar so we try to avoid giving him much but she takes him and stuffs him with sweets! Leaving us with a verrrrry hyper little boy....she also cuddles the babies off to sleep which unsettles them terribly as we won't sit holding them for hours.

She also is quite blatant with the fact that her first grandson is her favourite. He lived with them for 4 years until his mum and dad got their own place and she spoilt him sooo much,he's 9 this year and the most ungrateful,mean and rude child I've EVER met. But she texts him every day inviting him for tea,yet never asks to see our kids or even this boys little sister! My hubby is one of 3 boys (anyone else find that mother-in-laws with only boys are worse?!) and the eldest is the fave,he's 31,very spoilt and arrogant yet she's lent him ??6000 so far (which he doesn't repay) but when we asked for ??50 we were short on rent she made a HUGE fuss about her being skint and how we must repay asap grrrrr.

Anyway,I'm sure we've all got funny/annoying MIL tales to tell,and it would be nice to hear some good stories for once!!

K xx

Replies

• Options
    Love my MIL. She's a brilliant lady. Helpful to us and all her children/grandchildren and she treats them all fairly.

Occassionally she does something that isn't great (like playing games just as he's on the verge of going to sleep) but that's really rare and she's doing out of love rather than to wind us up or similar so it's not worth worrying about. She drives over especially to visit us and is great fun to be around. Recently got back from holiday with the in laws and my parents and we all had a lovely time.

I know that we are both really lucky with our in laws as my mum is great and DH loves her to bits too. It does make life a lot easier that we all get on so well.
  • Options
    well my real mil ..i.e oh's mum i HATE we dont speak and she doesnt see the children ...end of story ...though oh's step mum is wonderful ,she adores the children they call her grandma ,she is a total natural with them ,treats them as well as i do and i get on really well with her ...i dont worry too much if they do things different to me when the children are at theres cos its up to them if they want hyper kids :lol: xxx
  • Options
    I LOVE my Mil, shes wonderful and I really dont know how I would cope without her,
    She helps with the children as much as she can but never oversteps the mark, she always does things the way I want them done and even if she thinks I'm wrong she respects my decisions.
    Dont get me wrong, we have our moments, when we were away in devon last year when Theo was 6 months old he was really poorly, I mean really poorly. He was hot, screaming and not eating and I kept saying we needed to take him to A and E but MIL kept saying he was just teething. Eventualy she relented and when we got to A and E he was immediatly diagnosed with an ear infection in both ears and a chest infection!! She's never doubted me since lol.
    xxx
  • Options
    hi, i would not say i hate my mil, however i don't love her, we had a hard first few years she only accepted me when my son was born five years into our relationship, we get along thats good enough for me, i get along with his step mum really well love her to bits, shes like and mum to me. xx
  • Options
    love mine too,she only lives 10second walk from were i live and sometimes its a pain but most of the time its a godsend,if i need to pop out shes up in a flash and since ive had the twins there 9months old now,shes got a spare key for our house and she lets herself in,in the mornings and gets my 2 1/2 year old boy up and sorts him out while i just chill and come round a bit....... but now there 9 months old and there in a very good routine i dont need her as much but iam just too shy to say summit :lol: but shes brill' a bit nutty but brill

sarah
  • Options
    I love mine to bits and she would go to the ends of the earth for Abby - but she drives me MENTAL!!! (I am sure I posted on here about the time I put Abby's vest on backwards - oh my god, you would have thought I let her smoke cigarettes - the fuss it caused!) image
  • Options
    mines not bad, i think, don't really talk to her that much as my OH id belgian, and she only says a bout 2 words in english and i only know a little flemish, guess i'm lucky as i can't not like her if i don't know what she's saying lol, then again, she could be saying anything. best crack on learning the lingo, just won't let her know haha! xx
  • Options
    I can't stand mine!!! I used to really like her, then I found out what she was reay like and don't trust her one bit. Needless to say hubby thinks she is fab, men just can't see can they?
    One example of whats she is like, my bil announced that his gf was pregnant so she immediatly drove 3hrs to pick him up and take him "home" to try and persuade him to dump the gf and gave him money to go out drinking with his old girl friends. Openly tells the family how she will NEVER accept this girl into her family and leaves her without a name then the min the baby is born she is her best mate! I can't stand peope like that, 2 faced doesnt even begin to cover it! Oh and she makes NO effort to see Holly, only time they see her is if we take her to them, but ets not get me started on that lol
  • Options
    My mil is generally a lovely lovely lady but she is very controlling and we have had our moments. The worst for me was when I was pregnant the 2nd time, my mum arranged to have floating holidays with her work to look after my little boy when I was in hospital having the baby. When I finally got my section date - they were very late arranging it - it turned out to be half term so she was off work, and immediately said she would have Reece. I explained that because we hadnt known when the section would be my mum was taking time off work and she would be having him, but I said maybe she could have him for a couple of hours in the day to give my mum a break. I specifically said he had to sleep at my mums because I didnt want him to feel like he was being passed around. On my second day in hospital, she asked me if Reece could stay at her house that night and I said no, as I had already explained, I wanted him sleeping in the same house. When visiting had finished she went straight to my mum and said as long as we dont tell her hes coming to mine she will never know any different! My mum said no way, we have to do as she has asked, and Reece would have told me anyway! It really pisses me off that she would blatently go against my wishes. I never ask people to have him ( apart from arranged childcare for work) I wait till I am offered but this was an important time.
  • Options
    Couldn't say that I loved or hated mine. She doesn't really get involved with my children and to be honest I think that's a shame.

Her whole time is taken up with golf, holidays and a small amount of work and we are fitted in very occasionally by appointment. Honestly the diary has to be checked and meetings are planned months in advance. She only lives round the corner but we will only see her every couple of months and my mums over an hour away but we see her weekly.

She was great with her two eldest grandchildren (SIL's). She had them one day evey week and would pop round to see them every day. They moved to Spain over a year ago but she hasn't chosen to spend any additional time with mine.

Generally we get on quite well and I have actually known her all my life a she was a friend of my mums. However she can occaisionally be a bit funny. When I first went to her house as her son's girlfriend my OH's niece kept calling me by his exes name. I explained that my name was 'rebecca' and not 'sarah' and OH's niece (who was 6 at the time) just turned around and went 'sarah, sarah, sarah' to which my now MIL said 'well you should expect that really'.

The other thing is photos - she say's she wants a family photo, off everyone trots (including my girls since they have been around) and then tells me it's ok for me to stay where I am. I am not in any of her family photos. Yet once when I chose not to go to one of her, prearranged months in advance, get togethers, she rung me up and had a massive go telling me that I need to make more of an effort if I want to be part of the family. Generally though we get on quite well but she occaisionally has a little dig at me. She doesn't spend much time with my children but then again she has never made any comments in anyway for anything I do with regards to them - I don't wholly know if that's a good thing as it kind of smacks of a distinct lack of interest in her grandchildren. Regardless it is her loss as she is missing out on spending time with two beautiful little girls.
  • Options
    Ooh family photots! When my mil was 50 there was photos up of everyone - including my mum and my step dad - but not one of me or Bens sisters fella (who they all hate) Haha maybe they are trying to tell me something!
  • Options
    Hollys mummy,I totally agree,men can never see that under the sweet-middle-age lady coat lies a devious cow.....so unfair! x
  • Options
    I get on with my mil really well. Tho she does a few things that wind me up, like has a fav grandchild and only ever had 1 argument with her. When she decided to have a go at me cos I gave my LO my surname!!!
  • Options
    I get on really well with my mother in law too... She has two sons, no daughters so we go shopping together sometimes and I pick out clothes for her to try! She even came with me to help choose my wedding dress and when I found it in a shop near her, came with me to all my dress fittings.

Although she is 200 miles away she comes down every couple of months to see our lo and even stayed at a hotel with us recently so we could go to a friend's wedding there which had a no kids rule. She is clearly chuffed to bits with her grandson and spends loads of time with him! She is always very careful to ask if I'm ok with anything she is doing with or for lo too... I think I'm very lucky :\)
  • Options
    My MIL drives me absolutely nuts! I've been with my hubby for 17 years and married for 9 years and she's only got worse with time I'm sorry to say. She's got grandsons who are 15, 14 and 12 but my girls are her first grandaughters. She's told me before that she feels closer to her grandsons because she was a younger granny then and could do more with them - she's only 60 now, not ancient by any means.

She sees them once a week begrudgingly even though she only lives 2 miles away. Her and FIL have worked out how much it costs in petrol to drive the 2 miles around the one way system and won't visit us unless they are in town going to the skips to dump rubbish or if they're going to Tesco!!!

When she does come all she does is moan and if she starts another sentence with 'I'm not being funny but...' I think I'll go spare! She told me yesterday that in her opinion my 10 month old has always been a funny yellow colour and is obviously jaundiced and should be in hospital and that we should have left her out in the garden this summer to make her a normal colour!! There's certainly nothing wrong with my lo and I told her that most politely.

She only buys the girls second-hand toys from the market, not that there's anything wrong in that but if they've been obviously chewed or scribbled on I don't like it. She gives her grandsons ??20 a week pocket money and regularly spends ??150 on clothes and shoes for them while they moan that they can't afford the petrol to see us! I'm just glad that my parents live locally and that they absoltely adore my girls as this more than makes up for my mad MIL!

Rant over...!!! :lol:
  • Options
    My MIL rocks, she's brilliant! Never interferes, always happy to look after the kids and respects the way that we're bringing them up (though I suspect she may not agree all the time lol!) Yes, she brings them treats but doesn't spoil them and always tells them to check with me b4 opening said treats. She's a superstar, there to babysit at the drop of a hat and dishes out great advice but only when she's asked. Sure she has her moments but we all do that. I too think I'm very lucky to have her.
  • Options
    we're still ttc for our 1st lo but i can't stand my MIL - my dh doesn't speak to her now after years of anguish. so when we do finally fall pg she won't be hearing the news from us and won't be having any involvement. i know that sounds awful but honestly if i told you all the grief she's put us through you'd understand! we're beter off without her.
  • Options
    I love mine - she's great, so supportive but not overpoweringly so. She adores our lo and is so good with him.
  • Options
    I couldn't stand my MIL for a very long time! After I had my eldest she was constantly taking her from me and pressuring us to spend more time with them...I hated it and got so upset whenever she was around my baby.

But now things have calmed down a lot. The problem was partly with me and I realized that so now we can have a pleasant chat together with no nastiness. I let the girls spend time alone at MILs now that they are bigger, but when they were little I would have cried at the thought of leaving them there! Also hubby told her about my depression which I think made her back off a bit, and when she's not pestering us to go round, I feel more willing to go.

So things can get better in time...

Oh and whoever said that MILs who only have boys are worse is totally right! And that OH never hears the digs or nasty comments!

xxx
  • Options
    Mine is lovely, I can't think of one single thing to fault! :\)