Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Would you??

Replies

• EmilyB - I have to do that too, I cant put the double buggy up indoors and cant carry buggy and boys. I also couldnt carry both boys together so had to leave one inside while I strapped the other in.

Worst is now that they are in their forward facing carseats I cant bring them both in the house together and we live on a main road without a driveway (park down a side street!) If I cant park down the sidestreet directly next to my back gate then I plonk the car on the main road and, if its early, I have to leave boys in house to move it, or if its evening then it stays there till hubby gets home to move it!
  • i personally wouldnt do it, the first thing that came to my mind like juniemummie said about fire, i know its a bit extreme but theres always a chance, its just not worth it. xxx
  • Interesting to read your views, and thanks for the way you put them across - I didn't want this to get heated, and it is more about principle than the specific invitation :\) .

Our bedroom is in our attic and LO has slept in her room on the main level of the flat, alone, since 6 weeks, so we're already one floor apart at night, albeit without closed / locked doors between us (I feel like a bit of a mean mummy now!).

The petrol one's bothered me since Maya was born! I leave her locked in the car if I can see it (and her) and I'm literally just legging it to the till, handing over the money and dashing out again.
    I wish you could still pay at the pump - nowhere round here does that anymore :\?

• i think the petrol thing is just down to the individual, some parents leave their lo in the car some dont. i always get my lo out with me, however i hardly ever get petrol, i normally send the hubby out or we get it when we are all in the car on the way out for the day. i think at every garage around here u have the choice to pay@pump and also theres one near us where u fill ur car up, then drive out the exit where there are tills so u can pay when ur leaving and u never have to leave ur car (a drive-through). xxx
  • for those with the petrol saga use the tesco pay at pump option thats what i do??

re the op question (before I go on my friends call me disaster girl lol) I wouldn't only because between you and them are 2 flats in which you dont know what is going on ie: a fire could start and you may not know and by the time you are unaware would be unable to get to your little one, its different for the person (IMO) who lives in the two storey flat as she is directly below if that makes sense. Personally i wouldn't do it, i do leave my ds2 alseep in the cot and run next door or to the house across the street to get ds1 in fir his lunch but am away at max 1 minute. I think like others have said if you are quesitoning it dont do it xx get on with the cleaning of the skirting boards and if your feeling adventerous come ans do mine lolxx
  • I dont like pay@pump. My stepmum had her card cloned at one and, although I know its a complete random and unlikely situation, it has really put me off using them.
  • I wouldn't, personally, but then I wouldn't judge someone else who did (and I am a big old judgey-pants).

I always leave the kids in the car when I pay for petrol. I think it's safer than dragging them across a busy forecourt. Actually today I had shedloads of errands to run so I left them in the car whilst nipping into the corner shop, the cake decorating shop AND the petrol station. Bad mother.

Those who are worried - what about just doing pay at pump at the supermarket fueling station? You don't have to walk away from the car then.
  • I use tesco pay at pump too. Plus our asda has a drive through paying booth, so my boys are never left.

HOWEVER I have been next door for a cuppa clutching the baby monitor! We live in 2 up 2 down town houses and share a front garden/alleyway. We have babies of same age and always passing purees over the fence, toys, advice etc! If their back door is open my boys go in. I'm sure her girls will follow suit once they can walk. Anyway we can hear each others babies through the wall and occasionally tv's, so we decided me going there with monitor was only the same as my parents having my boys in their large 4 bed house!! I have only done it once and boys are now 2 years 9m and 10m!

However sounds like you are sorted, but next time.....

xxx
  • Gemmiebaby- it's actually really common for cards to be cloned at pay at pump

my best Freind worked for abbey (now santandar) and she was always going on about card cloning...and all the diff ways they do it...im now really paranoid when getting cash out lol! Sorry to go o/t xx
  • We run a pub and live above it and I leave my two 3 floors up while we are downstairs in the bar with the baby monitor. We do have a secure door to the flat though and many fire doors.

I don't have to worry about the petrol one though as we don't have a car.
  • I don't think i would personally do it - in case of (and i know its extreme) things like fires etc. But I am a big worrier and havnt even put LO upstairs alone yet (she is 10wks)

My thoughts exactly.. i have a huge fear of fires and its only since having children (i have frequent nightmares about it) and with it been 4 floors up i would be worried about not been able to get up there should the worst happen, sorry to be so morbid.

As for petrol i always pay at the self service one with a pin machine as its too much fuss and annoying getting a newborn and toddler out of the car for just 1 minute!! xx
  • At 11 weeks I wouldn't do it but at 11 months, I would. Do what you feel is right xx
  • my initial reaction is no, however, I used to leave my daughter in bed to load the car in a morning as I couldn't carry everything that we needed. My parents house is 4 storey, and I would never leave her on another floor as we would have no chance with monitors, the stone is too thick! Also they have a cat and dog!

We live in the middle of a row of cottages with no road access, so it is a 2 min walk to the car!

Thinking back though, I only did this 3 times, all of which I ranted at hubby about! (twice for him having the buggy and once when we were going to friends for the weekend, he swanned off to work, I had baby, travel cot, bags and food to get to the car!)

As for filling the car, we have a couple of serviced petrol stations that I tend to use, so no need to even get out of the car, and what is 40/80p more?

I do leave her outside shops in her big coachbuilt pram though, always have done from her being a week old, on the main road, but there is a great sense of community so whoever is admiring my pram ( and baby) usually stays long enough to say hello, and I can always see her through the window!

Bets X
  • I personally couldn't. We live in a 3 storey house and I used to panic when our ds was in his crib on the top floor when we were downstairs.
    Betsyboo I could never ever leave my ds unattended in his pram either, you are very brave!
    I do however leave him in the car whilst I pay for petrol if I can't use a pay at the pump. The chances of someone stealing my locked car off the forecourt are very slim! x
  • no I dont think I could, it would worry the hell out of me about fires, mass murderers etc lol..

I would invite them up to yours xx
  • ah babs i girl after my own heart a mind filled with disasters!!! lol until about a year ago i would lock our bathroom door from the outside at bedtime so ds1 (now 6) couldn't get in, just in case he got up in the middle of the night decided to have a bath and drowned!!!!
  • i would, i have often sat in the garden with the monitor which would prob be the same difference,

as for petrol i only use the pay at pump ones so i dont leave the car at any time x
  • I would do it, yes.
  • If you will be comfortable with it then I'd say do it. However my number 1 recommendation would be make the most of it while LO is small and jujst take the moses basket and put it in a quiet bedroom in the downstairs flat. We took LO everywhere at night while she was this small....oh those were the days! x
  • Really interesting post. My in laws are next door to us in a terraced house. There was a party last week, Holly is just 1 and sleeps through. She was down for the night and I took the moniter in next door and legged it back out less than 5 minutes later as I just didnt feel right. I felt like such a bad mummy for even considering it even though at my mums house the distance from the bedrooms to the sitting room is further away and the moniter even has a camera, I just couldnt relax.