Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Have you donated or deposited cord blood?

Hello! I'm interested in hearing from people who have donated or deposited their cord blood. I am a university researcher exploring people's experiences of and opinions about cord blood banking. If you would like to
take part or find out more about our research, please email me through my activated email button!

Our research is ethically approved, entirely public sector funded and not connected with any kind of for-profit commercial organisation.

Thanks!

Replies

• Hi Cordblood,

I've never heard about this in Scotland (where I'm based) do you know if it's an option up here?

Thanks
  • Hi VintageGinger,

Private depositing of cordblood is certainly available in Scotland, and there have been recent moves to introduce a public donation bank in Edinburgh as well.

If you would like some links to general information about cord blood banking, please email me!

Thanks
  • I've looked into this as to me is sounds like a really good idea. However where I am, Aberdeenshire in Scotland, is doesn't seem to be an option. I could only find 4 hospitals, all in England, that offered it? Unfortunately going private isn't an option for me, otherwise I would gladly donate cord blood.

[Modified by: mummyjax on April 20, 2010 04:04 PM]

• I would have like to privately done my sons but I couldnt afford the ??900 etc it costs. I signed at my hospital to donate it.
  • I would have but have only just found out about it no one mentioned it prior to birth at birth or anything. Bet its wasted lots as no -one knows about it xx
  • I work with Americord Registry, and we have a great page comparing the major cord blood banking companies in America. You can still bank with Americord even if you live outside of the U.S., as long as your collection can make it back to the lab in time. For more information about cord blood banking with Americord, check out this page: http://cordadvantage.com/cord-blood-banking