Forum home Family life & relationships Bereavement

Mothers Instinct

You may have read recently in the press about my precious granson Harry Connolly who died aged 19 months from severe dehydration and kidney failure after suffering from sickness and diarrhoea for almost a week. Harry was refered to the hospital by his GP as he was also passing blood. The hospital discharged him the next day saying it was probably just a virus and he would be fine. My daughter took him back to the hospital again the next day as he wan't improving and she was worried he would become dehdrated, she was told Harry was not dehyrated and would not become so as long as he continued to drink and turned away after just 2 hours on the ward. When i saw Harry the next day I was appalled at his condition he looked so sick I phoned the hospital again but was told I couldn't bring him back and to take him to his GP. It was a bank holiday and his Gp was closed so my daughter took him to the out of hours GP service, again she was told he was not dehydrated and would be fine the virus had to run its course. Harry was found dead in his bed the next day. The inquest last week ruled major failings by the hospital and the GP and said they failed to prove basic bread and butter treatment.

My brave daughter and her friend who also lost her precious daghter due to lack of care from th NHS are trying to set up a charity Mothers Instinct to raise awareness of these sad cases. Not to try and scare parents but to tell them to trust their instincts, we knew Harry was very sick but allowed 5 doctors to persaude us otherwise. The NHS do wonderful work but doctors do not always get it right. Trust your instincts no matter how many times you are told you are wrong as my daughter says don't worry about appering to be a nuisance no one knows your child like you do. Please visit and LIKE the MOTHERS INSTINCT face book page and help raise awreness.