Forum home Family life & relationships Bereavement

Losing a parent

I'm pretty new to all of this, seeking advice from people you don't know. I don't know where else to turn right now, I'm a mummy to two lovely girls ellie 4 and lexi 11months. I love them to pieces and lifes good right now but I cant deal with the pain of losing my mum in may 2016 she was found dead in her home the same day I had my early scan (6weeks) I spoke to her the night before as usual everything was fine... I just cant seem to accept shes not here anymore. it still hurts so bad to even think of her never mind talk of here. 

I suppose I don't know what I'm looking for here other than someone to tell me it does get easier. 

Replies

• Oh i'm so sorry to hear about your mum passing away - please visit your GP and get a referral for counselling - sometimes you can self refer, so you might only need to ask your GP receptionist - counselling can really help you come to terms with loss. Focus all your good energy into your lovely girls, and in time, it will get easier, but please do try and talk to someone about how you're feeling. x

• Good on you for for speaking up. I lost my mum when I was 16 (Im now 37) and I wish I could tell you that grief is some text book process you can follow.. but its not. I wish someone told me that it doesnt get easier but you learn how to live without her. One day you’ll get through a day, a week, a month and will barely think of her. On special occasions you will feel your heart break all over again and the pain will feel as raw as if it was yesterday. And thats ok. Its ok to cry. Its ok to get on with your life too. What gets me through is trying to put as much of myself in to my children as my mum did to me. Use your grief to make better decisions, you know now how much life can change in an instant.. so make every minute worth it. For many years I also wrote letters to my mum, writing helped me figure out emotions I couldnt understand. 

So in summary, grieve, cry and miss her like crazy.. but dont let that be all you do. Give your kids memories that will last a lifetime for them when you’re gone too.

• Hi not sure if you still follow this post but I'm really sorry for your loss. 

I totally understand. 

I tragically lost my dad when my baby was 7 weeks old last year and i cant get over it  

Sending best wishes. Xx