Forum home Family life & relationships Bereavement
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Photograph qn?

I don't know why but this has been bothering me quite a bit lately.
I think I'm probably aiming this more at the mummies who lost their little ones before full term, but don't mind if others express an opinion.
When angel was first born we took photos for us to have as a keepsake, something to put in a box and look at whenever buy for our eyes only. But just recently I feel like there should be one in a frame amongst my pile of pictures of zachariah as I feel like she's not being acknowledged by locking her photo away. I'm not sure how my husband feels about it and tbh I'm not really sure how I feel, I just want to see a photo of my children when I look at the photos rather than just my son as if she never existed. I still miss her so much and feel like everyone else has brushed her aside. The thing is though because she wasn't full term and had died a week before delivery inside me I don't know that I want everyone to see her, it's almost like they'd be invading her privacy! So I was just wondering (if you don't mind saying) what you've done or think about it? Thank you x ????

Replies

• Options
    if u want a picture of angel then have one in a frame hun i've got lots in charlies box but one is framed and on thetable in the frontroom with his candle and his picture of his footand hand print , so u have what u want take care xx
  • Options
    Oh I agree with charli's angel... All your friends and family would want you to be happy...

I'm extremely lucky, this hasn't happened to me, however,, I would definitely have a photo displayed... She is part of your family and will never be forgotten...

Big hugs to you all...

Sara x
  • Options
    My photos are in my memory box. My sister said she wanted one to put up in her home, which I was horrified about. I'm worried people might not understand or look at my girls & not see them as the beautiful as we do. We all deal with things differently. If you & you hubby want to do it then go for it. Let us know what you decide x
  • Options
    I think its totally up to you what you do, Madeline was born asleep at 16 weeks and had died a week or so earlier so they didnt even offer us a photo which makes me sad now, as even though it is not necessarily something I would want to share with others I would love to have a photo of her. In her memory box I have all the scan pictures and cards the service from her 'funeral' etc, we planted a shrub in memory of her called snow white and I have a picture of the flowers on it in a photo frame with my other children, maybe if you didnt want to put an actual photo in you could put a scan photo in, ultimately it is your decision though and if others dont like it then tough, sorry if that sounds harsh but Angel is your baby and its your life xxxx
  • Options
    Thank you, I think for the moment I will keep them away as I am worried like wooly that people would be funny about it and although I don't care what they think I don't want anyone ruining my babies memory. I might see if I can find a record book with lots of pregnancy pages in and perhaps add that as a keepsake as the photo album is a nice idea. Hayley I love the idea of your symbolic photo and although we could do that I'd sort of wanted other people to acknowledge a child aswell. Please don't be upset you didn't get hospital photos done, we actually took a few on our phone after delivery (I wish id taken a real camera) and when offered hospital ones accepted- they were so upsetting I burnt them as it was a few days after delivery they took them and not how I wanted to remember her at all!
  • Options
    Hi,
    I don't have any photo's of Ewan, I chose not to have them as it all scared me a bit. He was perfect when he was born, but the following morning he looked like a different child and not as perfect and new as he did the night before. I know they took the pictures the following morning and that's not how I wanted to remember him. I also didn't want my older son to see the photo's. I know where the photo's are if I ever want them, my midwife has told me they will be on my record for 25 years, so should I decide I want them later on I can have them. I've come across groups on facebook where people post photo's of their stillborn babies and I do find it quite frightening to be honest. There are some that have massive pictures blown up on the walls, and pictures of their babies in their coffins. I can understand a memorial of your own, like a photo in your living room but you will come across people that are not comfortable with it. For me I find the memory box is where I want to keep things, Ewan belonged to me and his dad and we have our memories in his box when we need them. It's quite a dilemma and I hope you find the answer that's right for you, if you want a photo then you should have a photo. Jackie xx

[Modified by: dotty1977 on January 02, 2010 07:52 PM]

• Options
    Double post!!

[Modified by: dotty1977 on January 02, 2010 07:50 PM]

• Options
    Hi. I have a photograph of my beautiful daughter who was born at 24 weeks in a frame in our lounge, next to a photograph of my husband and I with our son. I have it in black and white as I felt it was more discreet but I am proud to have my daughter on display, just as I am proud of her. I also carry a photo with that of my son, on my keyring.
    Do what feels right for you and don't worry about how others may feel. Your baby is part of your family and always will be.

George, x
  • Options
    Hi, my son Joe was stillborn at term 5 years ago. I have his photo up in our lounge and also in our bedroom. My daughters also have pictures of him in their rooms. My eldest daughter who is six always shows his picture to any visiting friends as shes so proud of him.
    You can only do what you feel is right, but i love being able to see him all the time and don't really care what anyone else thinks about it, hes my son and I love him.
    I also have his handprint engraved on a silver heart which I wear on a necklace all the time. This is the most precious gift anyone could ever give my as I feel that I can hold his hand whenever I want to. xx
  • Options
    Thank you for your comments. I've not put one up as I don't think my husband would cope with it. Sadly Angel has become a bit of a hidden and unshared pain between us.
    Lucy - I loved the idea of the handprint jewellry but as far as I understood you had to buy a special kit to print baby's hand on for it to work. Is that not right? I only have the one copy the hospital made for me and I would hate for it to be damaged so if you don't mind me asking how/where did you get it done? I'd actually wanted to get a heart necklace with her name engraved on but haven't found the heart I want yet so ATM have a little angel pendant.
    I think it's lovely your children are so proud of their baby brother. When my son is old enough to understand I hope he too will hold a special place in his heart for his sister despite not really understanding now.
  • Options
    Sorry to G/C.. hope you don't mind!?!

I know of a company that do the hearts, fingerprints, footprints, names etc. My friends got me a necklace for my 40th with my 3 youngest kids fingerprints on! it is a treasured possession.

The company are called Small p..here is a link. You can find the one nearest you. I don;t know what they could do with your precious handprint but am sure something could be done. Basically you have to have it done on some special paper that through some chemical process gets imprinted on the silver which is then baked to set it forever. I have no idea how they do it tho..sorry! You could trace the handprint that you have and then that could be set onto the sliver heart? Wish I could be more help....have a look and I hope there is a lady who does it near you!

All the best to you all. You are all such brave ladies.

http://www.smallp.co.uk/postcodesearch.php