Forum home Family life & relationships Bereavement
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When do you try again??

My little boy was born on Sat the 19th September, 3 weeks ago today. I found out a couple of days earler that he had died, I was 27 + 2.

I know it's still early and my emotions are all over the place but I was wondering how long do people tend to leave it before trying for another baby?? My midwife has said I can start trying as soon as I feel ready.

I just want to hear other peoples opinions???

Replies

• Hi dotty1977,

I am so sorry to hear about your little boy, did u name him? I am sure he will be up in heaven playing with all the other angels, my daughter Darcey included who we lost in February this year at 38 weeks due to a placental abruption...

It's a very personal thing, when to start trying again. For us, straight away we knew that was what we wanted to do. We were firstly told by some silly midwife we'd be recommened to wait two years before tring again!!! This was later corrected by my consultant who said it is perfectly safe for us to try again after I had had 3 cycles. So that's what we did and we are now onto month 5 of trying. I know part of me is scared things will go wrong again but all my life I have only wanted to be a mum so I won't give up. So if you feel ready to try again then go for it- don't worry about anyone elses opinions, you are the person who lives your life. Goodluck xx
  • Hi hun i'm so sorry for you , i lost my little boy 7 wks ago he died during labour i was full term ,
    his name was charlie what did you name your baby ,
    all i can say about trying again is you can only decide that .were trying straight away i dont think i can move on otherwise i need to complete my family
    dont let anyone else tell you what to do take time together and dont stop talikng to each other it keeps you strong , i wouldnt be here 7 weeks on if it wasnt for my husband x be stong hun take care love vicki xx our angels are with all the angel babies now xxx
  • Hi sorry for your loss. I lost my daughter last August at 40 weeks and we were also told to wait 3 months.
    We started trying at 3 months and I was lucky to fall pg quickly. I did have a few moments when I felt I hadn't given myself time to grieve my daughter.
    If you feel ready to try straight away, go for it.
  • Hi. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my daughter after she was born at 24+1 on 25th June, She died 10 hours later.
    I was told by my GP to wait 3 cycles before trying but my consultant said we could try straight away and that if I am able to concieve, my body is ready. I don't think it's too soon, you have to do what feels right for you. We want another baby. Not to replace the one we have lost but to complete our family.
    Please join us on the TTC/Pregnancy after bereavement forum when you feel ready.
    George35, x
  • Hi I'm so sorry to hear another painful loss, I lost my little girl through stillbirth 12/9, she'd died inside me at around 19-20weeks, I'm still waiting to hear what went wrong but desperately want to ttc as soon as I'm able to. It's not about replacing her as she will always be remembered as my beautiful daughter but I still want laughter running through my house and siblings for my son who is now 22mths.
    I think as long as there's no medical reason not to, you just ttc when ready, having said that from what I've read you need to be emotionally ready too because a pregnancy after bereavement will be very emotinally draining. Good luck and again I'm so sorry, it is so hard and confusing.
  • Hi,
    We called our little boy Ewan, he weighed 1lb 7oz and was perfect in every way. We don't know how he died yeet but he was very tightly wrapped up in the umbilical cord which the midwife thinks may have cut off supplies to him.

Thank you all so much for your replies, I've found out over the last few weeks just how common still birth is, it doesn't make it better but it's given me the realisation that i'm not alone in my grief.

We are trying again, but we're not going to put pressure on ourselves, maybe with a little more effort after Christmas, Ewan was due the week before Xmas so it's going to be a difficult time!!

You are all wonderful strong women and good luck with future pregnancies xx