Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

breastfeeding

hi is anyone else worried about breastfeeding? I tried to breastfeed my first baby jake 7 years ago but it was soooo painful!! i spoke to the midwife about it at the time and she told me to stop so i did, now i'm expecting another baby in just under 3 wks and i'd really like to breastfeed but i'm not sure if i'll be able to. Has anyone else had problems like i had, also want to point out that it wasn't my nipples that hurt but my whole breast felt like someone was stabbing it while he sucked, anyone else had that? If so did you carry on or did you stop?:\?

Replies

• Sounds like you might of had thrush.
    I had it and your symptoms sound similar. I had really, really bad pains deep in my boob and it was sooo painful when he fed.
    You can get treatment for it. We got cream for me and oral drops for Ben.
    It cleared up after a few days.
    We also attended a breast feeding support group which was brilliant (we still go now and Ben's 9 months!) so maybe thats something you could try if you really want to stick with it.
    Good luck.
    Vic xxx
  • thanks vic, do you know what? that is the first time anyone has ever said it might be thrush, and now that you mention it, it does sound like that could have been it, do you think i'm likely to get that again? anyway thanks alot for the help xxx
  • hi carrie, sounds like thrush, it could also be the let down reflex, mine was really painfull this time, i have read that it should be a tingling feeling as your milk flows but this felt like my boobs were gonna explode, good news is isaac is 20 weeks now and i dont notice it any more. Good luck and dont put too much pressure on yourself.
  • thanks hayley, i guess i'll just have to wait and see how it goes xx
  • hi hun, i agree it sounds like it could have been thrush, i found bf quite a challenge for about the 1st 6/8wks, as i was sore, tired and feeding 2hourly, but it does get better if u can overcome those first weeks u will be fine as at the time its hard to belive it will get better. but like hayley says dont put too much pressure on ur self and try and get plenty of bf support in place before birth if u can, sure start were great at giving me support i really dont think i would have bf oliver for 11m without their support,
    good luck with the rest of ur pregnancy hun. xx
  • thanks kirst, at least these days you do get more support and they do try to encourage you more don't they? Hope i don't have to feed 2 hourly!! i'm hoping to go back to work a month after baby is born if i can figure out how to use a breastpump!! xx
  • hi hun, it can take a while for ur milk supply to get established so worth a chat with mw or a bf councillor if ur thinkin of expressing regular a month after to go back to work, it def can be done but u will be doing loads of expressing and then as much bf as poss when ur home to keep ur supply up, well worth getting an elec breast pump as they are less tiring on the hands and quicker. xx
  • thanks kirst, was wandering about whether to get manual or electric one and now you've just answered my question, so i think ill get elec, though i will wait and see if i can deff breastfeed though cos i suppose there is a chance i can't, thanks for the advice xxxxxx
  • if u have sure start in ur area the bf team should be able to loan u a pump, save u spending loads if it dont go to plan and u get to try before u buy. xx
  • never heard of sure start, but i'll certainly look it up, im all for saving money!! thanks kirst you really are a life saver!!! xxxxxxxxx
  • Im breast feeding my daughter lilah whose nearly 14months and like youself i also breast fed my son whose now ten but gave up after 4 weeks coz it was too painful. This time i was determined to do it for longer. I had engorged breasts, flat nipples which made it difficult for her to latch on. My nipples were sore and cracked and like you i felt like i was being stabbed. I had maestitis twice. Dont give up the pain does subside,i can recommend lansinoh for cracked nipples but its expensive at ??12 a tube you could also get support from a breast feeding support group in your area its generally run by mums 4 mums and experts are at hand to offer advice. Good lubk..