Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone bf who has implants? Low milk supply?

Hi ladies

I had breast implants put in 4 years ago (over the muscle, not under, and nipple was not removed during procedure). My surgeon had said that I wouldnt have problems breast feeding which I don't seem to however I do have a problem with a low milk supply. This may have happened for a number of reasons (my baby was ill with a cold a few weeks ago which I also caught, I was on antibiotics after the birth to treat an infection, feeding was stressful with my lo suffering from colic and/or reflux). Long story short, my baby (now 5wks 3 days) is on Renitidine for his reflux so feeding has become much less stressful and frustrating for him, and I am taking Domperidone to increase my milk supply. We have both been on these for 12 days now. I would have expected that my milk supply would have increased by now but I don't think it has to the extent Id hoped.

I last gave a bf 5 hours ago and have only been able to express 3 oz just now at 11pm (so I can check how much I have and will bottle feed bub with this now). I do have a lot more milk first thing in the morning, which reduces as the day goes by, which I know is normal. But I would expect to get more than 3oz for the last night feed?? :\? And that's from both breasts 5.5 wks since starting to bf.

I have been having to top up with ff which Im not so keen on but have no choice since realising he wasnt getting enough. I had hoped to stop this but without my milk supply increasing Im left with no choice but to continue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem bf with implants? Im wondering if this is the root of the issue?

Any other suggestions on how to increase my milk supply? Im going to start taking fenugreek from tomorrow as well.

While combination feeding is better than no bf at all, Im gutted that I cant exclusively bf :cry:

xx

Replies

• Hi i had implants 5 years ago and am exclusively bf my 5m dd, no problems so far (touch wood!)
    When i did express i found that i didnt have much milk and was only filling up to about 3oz, my little one feeds little and often. I did speak to the HV who told me if i was busy during the day, stressed, this would cause me to have less milk, to produce more milk she advised me to express every 2 hours during the day, eat more and have a large milky drink every time i bf. After 2 days of this:\) i was full of milk. I hope this helps? X
  • your supply is probably related to the stress you are putting upon yourself rather than the implants.

Make sure you drink a lot (!!!) of fluids a day - plenty of water mainly (about 2L) - tea and coffee will reduce your supply a little. Also make sure you eat a lot of HIGH calorie foods during the afternoon, and make sure you rest/nap when baby does - sod the cleaning/visitors etc image

dont worry about expressing as you cant get as much out with a pump as a baby can themselves, but at 5weeks 3oz sounds great!
    your lo only has a tiny tummy at that age so I wouldnt be expecting them to take much more than that anyway. MJ is 9 months old now and still only takes between 4-5oz each feed. (3oz to go to bed with)

Your supply will not increase if you continue topping up with formula - you have to have baby to the breast to demand more milk for your body to make more milk.

HTH

xxx
  • i don't have implants but wanted to sya that how much u express is not a good indicator of how much u produce, ur baby's suckling is much more effective at getting milk than a breast pump. and don't forget that in about a week ur due a grwoth spurt so if baby wants to feed more often thats no bearing on ur supply either, just a normal growth spurt so baby wil want to feeed more. as long as baby is putting on weight nicely, excusing when reflux was an issue, then u have no reason to worry about ur milk supply. tbh i wld suggest that u feed him as many feeds as pssible and to increase ur milk supply also express after each feed (so tells ur body u need more for that feed). also i alwas found i got most milk out first thing in the morning, by 11pm ur tired and usually stressed and probably haven't eaten for a while, none of which will contribute to an abundance of milk at that time, but having said that, 3oz is fab for 5 weeks, i think that was all i was ever able to express tbh.

hth xx
  • I agree with the girls above that expressing isn't really a good indication of your supply.

I got really stressed out when bub was younger as i struggled to express. Even spent a fortune on a hospital grade pump but would still only get 3-4oz in total. In the end i just stopped expressing and focused on the fact that lo was gaining weight, feeding well and going 2-3 hrs between feeds so he must have been getting good milk.

If you still feel your milk supply is low just spend 2 days on the sofa with baby glued to your boob and by the end of it you will be bursting!!!
  • As all of the above have said - your baby can do a much better job than a pump so try not to worry to much about that how much you express as it isnt always accurate of how much your baby is getting! The more your baby is on your breasts the more milk you should produce, but if your baby is coming off because they are hungry then you could try a nursing supplementer. http://www.medela.co.uk/UK/breastfeeding/products/nursing.php its basically a bag that you can put milk into (either expressed or formula) and it has a tiny tube that you tape onto your boob and the baby sucks on your nipple as well as the tube - so basically it stimulates your breasts to produce more milk, whilst making sure that the baby is getting enough to eat so isnt getting frustrated. You should be then able to go back to exclusive breastfeeding as your as your breast begin to produce more milk and reduce the amount of formula intake. xxxxx
  • What everyone else has said is tottaly right. Expressing is a really poor indication of how much milk you have. I have never, ever managed to express as much as 3 oz in one sitting but Barney is now 18 months old, still bfed (although only once a day now) and has never had any formula, so I assume there are no issues with my supply.
    Try and relax, like Stephe said the stress won't help with your milk production either.
    xx
  • Thanks for your replies girls. Ive had time to read them the past few days but not reply as Ive had a hungry little man on my hands! I think his growth spurt has begun...
    Ive now relaxed a bit more and the day after I posted and read the initial replies, my milk seemed to increase a bit more. Perhaps it was me relaxing, or a late effect of the Domperidone, or a bit of both. I think I was worrying too much about my implants being the problem, and me not having had enough milk for him but now things seem to be falling into place again.

So Im now down to 1 ff a day, the last feed at night. Ive been expressing more after feeds too to stimulate more though the past few days he has been on the breast more frequently anyway so together that is helping.

• I have breast implants and am planning on bf my baby when he is born.

I bf my dd for a year and often worred about the amount of milk I was supplying so I have found this post really helpful, thanks ladies.

Melissa 33+3